Olympus OM-D EM-5 MKII Underwater Photo & Video Review - First Look

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You need a tripod and a non-moving subject to avoid blur, so I'll go out on a limb here and say "no".

That's what I thought, so I don't know why it is mentioned in a place for U/W photography :)

Methinks the whole MkII hype is caused by the ubiquitous "need" for upgrades. The "MkI" E-M5 is still a pretty awesome camera, and AFAIK the only things the MKII bring are a slightly redesigned body and the 40MPx function.

I'm still using my trusty, antiquated Nikon D300 for topside shooting. I know it's a 7+ year old camera model, but it hasn't gotten any worse than it was back then when it was cutting edge. I still get fantastic IQ at ISO 200-400, decent IQ at ISO 800-1600, unbeatable ergonomics, still one of the best AF functions and 8fps with the battery grip. I hardly ever need more than that.

It is good that there are better options for video however having looked at the stills captured on dpreview I have to say the video mode of this model is lagging behind any Panasonic 4:3 and far behind Sony RX100 and Panasonic LX100 a great deal
The stills captures from video look marginally better than the OMD-EM10 so despite features Olympus still does not know how to do video

I am sure that for stills this is a super camera though not sure how much better than the original EM5 as the multiexposure mode does not work with flash?

Front right side control dial on the PT-EP13 protrudes a tad far to seat the Precision 4" dome as you can see in the top down picture of the housing.
There is a slimmed down button replacement kit AOI-RK01 from AOI.
Would this work for the Precision 4" dome on the PT-EP13?

Is this feature important and/or useable for the underwater photographer?

40 Megapixel Image - With a 16 MP Sensor

Given that the only m4/3 lenses with effective resolution held back by the 16 MP sensor are perhaps the telephoto 42.5mm f/1.2 and the 75mm f/1.8, rather than the landscape 12mm f/2 and 15mm f/1.7, I'm dubious that the 40 MP mode has much practical value on land besides marketing and bragging rights.

High bandwidth 1080 60p and the new screen seem really nice. Alas, I have sunk costs in an E-M5, Nauticam housing and its port shared by the 7-14mm f/4 and 12-35 f/2.8 (a nice UW combo), so I may await the Mk III or Mk IV.

We believe the Zen 9-18 semi-dome port should fit the new PT-013 housing _without_ any adapter as Olympus has gone back to the standard flat port that they have used on the PEN series of housings. The PT-013 doesn't have the larger bayonet locking ring, etc like the other OMD housings.

The PT-013 is only available with the flat port. and it should work great with the 60mm macro lens.

Right now if you buy any Oly OMD camera, PEN E-PL7, etc you can buy lenses and good discounts; ie the 9-18 at $200 off and the 60 macro for $100 off.

The YS-03 will work fine, but you may need to consider a better arm and tray, as the ones that come with it are going to be too small really.

I agree with Scott - the Oly EM-5 Bundle is a better buy overall and then put the money into lenses and a better strobe. You'll have a better investment long term. You're going to get 90% of what the new camera has to offer at least for stills. The lens discounts apply to it as well, making it an even better buy for those on a budget.
Will any of the mini domes designed for the 8mm panasonic fit the pt ep13 housing without changing the front control dial on the housing?

The only option that I know of is to change the control knob. This is an easy user installable upgrade.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom