Olympus PT-050 UW Case latch wear issue / XZ-1 camera flooded

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffTyre

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I have just returned from a wonderful 2 weeks of diving in Indonesia . The most unfortunate incident which happened was that our Olympus PT-050 UW Case flooded on the next to last dive day and our XZ-1 camera is now unusable. So we are in middle of trying to determine if we should continue with this product line or begin to look for another camera / UW case combo.

Inspecting the PT-050 latch mechanism in close detail after the dive is raising some doubt in the product design, and I have found at least one other posting on SB questioning the latching mechanism design. So looking for any others who could add comment on their experience with the PT-050 / XZ-1 combo or other camera / UW cases in terms of the UW case latch mechanism wear over time.

We purchased both 3 years ago and have logged about 50 dives with them. Wonderful photos each trip for a camera / UW case combo that was a nice step up from our previous setup. For the amount of dives that we get to do each this seemed like a good choice and overall we have been happy. We are very careful in setting up the camera / case for each dive and have never had any issue or hint of moisture getting inside the case up to this point.

I have closely inspected our PT-050 UW case and there is a small amount of play in the latching mechanism that makes me suspect that was the issue that led to the flooding, so am having doubts in reinvesting in Olympus products. What I have found is the a fingernail width of a gap remains on some closures of the UW case but not every time. So my theory is that there must be some small wear of the latch mechanism that causes this and the flooding incident last week. The O ring appears perfectly fine and there is no indication of any issue with it.

After so few dives and overall low amount of usage my feeling at this point that a product such as the PT-050 should not have started to have worn like this. Does anyone on the Olympus forum have any feedback, comments or specific experience similar to what we have with our PT-050 ?

I had an incident but that was my fault....but I do agree about what you say about the design. The closing is not even across all the pattern. Close to the hinge the cover looks tighter than the latch mechanism area.

I would probably get a better quality enclosure if you can afford it. Pt50 is good and cheap but you never know.

Thanks for reply. Have contacted Olympus and may elect to have it serviced. Very nice camera for the money, especially since they have dropped in price being an older model at this point.

Have been on the Olympus web site and noted that it looks like they have discontinued most the various PT UW case products. Perhaps it wasn't a profitable product line or the fundamental design was flawed from the start and has caused them issues in sustaining.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom