Olympus UFL-3 Battery Protection Reset Blinking Green and Orange

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cerich

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
OK, posting here so that it may help others.
Last time I used my strobes I forgot batteries and picked some up at the local store, grabbing the most expensive Alkaline's I could find. I honestly don't recall which brand etc. During the dive one of my UFL-3's just wasn't behaving at all and after the dive just grabbed another strobe (YS-01) to use and ran it and my other working fine UFL-3 in manual. I didn't give it any more thought until the other day setting up camera and testing strobes (saying to myself that I should have done something to know which UFL-3 it was that had been giving me issues. I kinda assumed that it was the battery cap, and one of them had been an issue before after I loaned them out and found the contacts bent, I had bent them back and they worked, just figured maybe got bent again. My thinking I should have done something to know which one was soon a moot point as one of them upon turning on flashed green and orange on the ready indicator versus the solid orange it should be.
I took a quick look at manual and of course that doesn't even have anything in it to say what that means, and a google of the problem gave no results. I decided to google the same issue with YS-01 because they are kinda the same right? OK, that lead me to a few posts that said it was the battery protection circuit.. That makes sense given I bought the Alkaline's and also saw where people are saying that can cause it (also mixed batch or not all same charged Ni Mh as well, so always date your rechargeable batteries when you get them and dedicate and keep together and charge together for use in strobe, don't use more than 2 years old in strobe). The DIY fix for the YS-01 to reset the battery protection circuit is drifting around Scubaboard on a PDF and I figured it was going to be the same, that involves using a magnet. Bought magnet (now set up for magnet fishing if I so desire, but I digress). WELL THAT DID NOT WORK.

What does work however is following the instructions I found on YouTube for the YS-D2 at this link. Hope this helps someone!

Confirming follow the equivalent operations to the YS-D2 video
worked to reset a UFL-03 flashing orange-green for me too.
Thanks !

Confirming follow the equivalent operations to the YS-D2 video
worked to reset a UFL-03 flashing orange-green for me too.
Thanks !
I am very glad i could save you buying a magnet thinking was like YS-01, sending for expensive service, or throwing it against the wall in frustration.

That last one I may be projecting, I contemplated when trying to figure mine out

Back
Top Bottom