OMS BC/W setup. What do I need to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nicole2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I'm thinking about buying my own gear now and I'm looking at OMS BC/W. I have about 200 dives and am comfortable with my buoyancy. I've been only diving with rental gears (I only own mask, fins, and computer) and I'm not quite sure what I need to purchase for a complete BC/W system.

1. Should I get the comfort harness system or the backpack system? I heard the latter is easier to deal with but I like the design on the comfort harness system. (yes, it's all about the design! :wink:
2. I'm a 24 y/o female 5'2'' and 140 lbs and I'm not sure if I'd need 27lbs or 32 lbs for the wing. I live in Arizona so I'd be always traveling to dive, whether driving or flying. I'm going to get the AL plate with the wing.

Are there any other accessories I'd need along with these?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 10.43.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 10.43.50 PM.png
    229 KB · Views: 164
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 11.26.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 11.26.17 PM.png
    112.6 KB · Views: 107
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 10.46.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 10.46.14 PM.png
    130.8 KB · Views: 109
instead of the comfort harness, just get a basic continuous one. webbing and hardware from DGX and you can add the padded shoulderpads if you want.

need two cam bands and getting two trim pockets to mount on the cam band is nice to have.

Does it have to be OMS brand? For 5'2", you probably want a short backplate. OMS is not a manufacturer that offer different size backplate.

Wing size is a major function of how thick of a suit you will wear. Usually 3x lb wing is a very versatile choice. But looking at the mono 32 model, it looks too wide to me. There are better design wing out there.

You are going to get a lot of opinions and some things depend on what brand you go with. In general you will need a backplate, a wing, a harness, a kit with appropriate hardware, a croach strap, tank bands, and potentially a single tank adapter, but a sta depends on brand.
Also depending on other conditions you may need weight pockets and/or trim pockets.

As it happens I just saw below on dive gear express. Very good package at very attractive price.

DGX Custom - DGX Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing / OW Reg Package

instead of the comfort harness, just get a basic continuous one. webbing and hardware from DGX and you can add the padded shoulderpads if you want.

need two cam bands and getting two trim pockets to mount on the cam band is nice to have.

Is the trim pocket same as weight pockets? Also, should I also buy a pair of weight pocket just in case I need them?
They have the comfort harness and smartstream harness.. not sure which one is a basic continuous one :( Why would you recommend a basic one?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 12.27.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 12.27.23 AM.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 90
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 12.27.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 12.27.50 AM.png
    77.7 KB · Views: 96
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 12.24.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 12.24.47 AM.png
    72.6 KB · Views: 101
Does it have to be OMS brand? For 5'2", you probably want a short backplate. OMS is not a manufacturer that offer different size backplate.

Wing size is a major function of how thick of a suit you will wear. Usually 3x lb wing is a very versatile choice. But looking at the mono 32 model, it looks too wide to me. There are better design wing out there.

OMS comfort harness system comes in S,M,L and I think S would fit me! Yea.. backplate does not come in different sizes..
Do you recommend any other brand? I chose OMS simply of the design. Do you have any recommendations? I'm trying to order everything online because none of the dive shops around me has OMS BC in their store for me to try.

You are going to get a lot of opinions and some things depend on what brand you go with. In general you will need a backplate, a wing, a harness, a kit with appropriate hardware, a croach strap, tank bands, and potentially a single tank adapter, but a sta depends on brand.
Also depending on other conditions you may need weight pockets and/or trim pockets.

As it happens I just saw below on dive gear express. Very good package at very attractive price.

DGX Custom - DGX Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing / OW Reg Package

Thanks for the recommendation but I'm confused on why everyone's recommending me a dgx wing. I'm sure they work great but I'm primarily looking at OMS!

If you’re only 5’2” check out the short backplate made by Halcyon and one other company (Oxycheq?). I’m 5’5” and it makes a huge difference for me.

Thanks for the recommendation but I'm confused on why everyone's recommending me a dgx wing. I'm sure they work great but I'm primarily looking at OMS!

They’re suggesting a more affordable option. Plus with OMS, I believe their harness has their name all over the danged thing. Huge walking ad! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom