OMS SS or alum backplate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How much customer service issues do you foresee with a backplate? It's just a chunk of metal :confused:

OMS never responded to my email questions. But I never tried to get any warranty issues fixed from them though.

There is no question that more weight is needed to sink it. Just as my Comfort harness requires more than a deluxe harness and the deluxe harness requires more than the Hog harness. These are all trade offs dependant upon personal preference. The question becomes how much padding...

One extra consideration you may want to consider is that any time you dive with compressible displacement (i.e. padding or neoprene), you create buoyancy at the surface requiring more weight, but at depth the compressible stuff compresses and now your extra weight requires extra air in your BCD.

By itself I don't imagine a back plate pad would create a safety issue, but if you dive that, plus a wet suit, plus steel tanks, etc., you create a situation where a wing failure at depth can have catastrophic consequences (which is why some people choose double wings for diving wet suits with heavy rigs and others choose to dive dry even in warm water).

Again, a pad isn't much, but you are going to need to have compensating weight at the surface and in turn will need more air in your wing at depth. I would try floating the IQ pack in a tub and seeing how much weight is required to sink it. It may be negligible, it may not. But I would want to know exactly how much was required just for the pad before making a decision to dive it.

I may be wrong, but I don't think a comfort harness conforms to Hogarthian principles of minimalism.

Thanks for ALL the feedback!

I'm kind of bony and like some padding. But I never tried a plain web setup in my 5 mm wetsuit, just tried plain webbing in a T shirt and did not like it.

Do you think I can get by with the plain webbing and a back pad with my wetsuit?

Most of my stuff is OMS I had a issue with a canister light about a week ago thought there was a battery ring missing called them they put me through to the tech dept aswered my question no problems.

'm kind of bony and like some padding. But I never tried a plain web setup in my 5 mm wetsuit, just tried plain webbing in a T shirt and did not like it.

Do you think I can get by with the plain webbing and a back pad with my wetsuit?

Yes. I am very bony, and I dive my steel BP with a 3 mil wet suit every week. If you absolutely, positively MUST have something between the plate and your back, I suggest you "cheat": Buy or fashion a pocket that goes between the plate and your back. Put a lift bag in there. You will have some very minimal, non-compressible padding and as a bonus you are carrying a lift bag you can use as a surface marker.

Of course, you are now required to carry a finger spool or reel. Bonus trick: mark the spool in ten foot increments and if a shark bites off your depth gauges, computer, and backup bottom timer, you can still hit your deco or safety stops by deploying the bag and counting the marks :)

Thanks for ALL the feedback!

I'm kind of bony and like some padding. But I never tried a plain web setup in my 5 mm wetsuit, just tried plain webbing in a T shirt and did not like it.

I have dove many times with just a backplate and webbing no problems if your close to the water or on a boat. When shore diving can bug you a bit if you have to walk to long a distance with your rig on, for me its no big deal. OMS has harness pads that you can add which would probably be good for you if you have boney shoulders.

OMS Backplate & Harness Accessories http://www.OMSdive.com

I have dove many times with just a backplate and webbing no problems if your close to the water or on a boat. When shore diving can bug you a bit if you have to walk to long a distance with your rig on, for me its no big deal. OMS has harness pads that you can add which would probably be good for you if you have boney shoulders.

OMS Backplate & Harness Accessories http://www.OMSdive.com

Most of my dives are at the springs in FL. Lots of hiking with gear sometimes. But I just have to haul a one tank setup and I seldom dive below 80 feet. May be able to get by with a backpad and regualr web straps.

I like the Hogarthian idea, just wish to have some comfort and not get too hooked up in asceticism.

BTW, also looking at Halcyon gear. But can get a slightly better deal on OMS package. But would a 'real' Hogarthian devotee ever use a red OMS wing???

Most of my dives are at the springs in FL. Lots of hiking with gear sometimes. But I just have to haul a one tank setup and I seldom dive below 80 feet. May be able to get by with a backpad and regualr web straps.

I like the Hogarthian idea, just wish to have some comfort and not get too hooked up in asceticism.

BTW, also looking at Halcyon gear. But can get a slightly better deal on OMS package. But would a 'real' Hogarthian devotee ever use a red OMS wing???

Sorry mate not sure but now you are changing you original question, for me I dive what I am comfortable with dont really care if Hogarthian approves my chosen brand of equipment or not although my set up does resemble the Hogarthian setup more due to my own tastes though.

One extra consideration you may want to consider is that any time you dive with compressible displacement (i.e. padding or neoprene), you create buoyancy at the surface requiring more weight, but at depth the compressible stuff compresses and now your extra weight requires extra air in your BCD.

By itself I don't imagine a back plate pad would create a safety issue, but if you dive that, plus a wet suit, plus steel tanks, etc., you create a situation where a wing failure at depth can have catastrophic consequences (which is why some people choose double wings for diving wet suits with heavy rigs and others choose to dive dry even in warm water).

Can also use a SMB in lieu of drysuit and double wing for emergency backup Buoyancy, which I alway dive with and think should be a requirement for advanced divers as it has many uses for safety.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom