Once a gas hog...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beach89:
Woah, who said anything about holding it for a few seconds?
If you read several people's posts from time to time, apparently several major scuba magazines promote holding it for a moment, then exhaling. I agree--not good.

beach89:
There's a lot more dead air space when under vs over water
...what?

beach89:
or else you'll just inhale the Co2 you just exhaled
Please tell me how I'm going to re-inhale the exhaust bubbles that are now floating towards the surface...

As risk of hijacking the breathing techniques subthread, I think my takeaway is:

1) Dive *more,* get more comfortable underwater and reduction of anxiety will lead to reduction air usage.

2. Get neutral and learn good trim, which will lead to less effort moving and less wasted energy correcting position/direction.

3. No manic, waving hands, same reason as above (but then how will I attract the sharks?)

4. Try to breathe normally, but it sounds like all things being equal, deeper slower breaths are better than short and shallow.

5. Be lazy - go slow, enjoy the view.

6. Attach a dead fish to a D-clip on the BC, or on a trailing string behind the fins.

Anything else :)

Gombessa:
(but then how will I attract the sharks?)
You could always wear Yummy Yellow.

Now I know why i'm using less air when i'm navigating using my compass. By holding the compass im not making any hand movement. Maybe i'll try to pretend i'm holding my compass on my next dive to see if it will help my breathing technique.

Gombessa:
......what techniques have you tried/discovered that have helped you reduce your air usage? .....

ive lost 100+ lbs in fat, and as a result im down to 14lbs in lead (down from 38lbs)and improved my trim, do at least 45mins of cardio exercise 5 times per week and dive, dive, dive!!!

im averaging 90min dives to 23m/70ft these days

SparticleBrane:
You could always wear Yummy Yellow.
and i wear yellow.... my yellow snorkel has brought much comfort to my diving :wink:

cheers

I have slowed WAY down. I don't kick if I don't have to. When I do, instead of trying to zoom from one place to another, I use something like a scissors-kick, and I kick and glide, kick and glide... As for my hands, I use my right hand to keep my octopus tucked in towards my middle, and my left to keep my console tucked in towards my middle. I hold them in place with the insides of my forearms, and grasp my right wrist in my left hand.

By far, the biggest thing is to R E L A X . . . When you're underwater, especially if you're drift-diving, you shouldn't be breathing any harder than you would, if you were lying on the couch, reading the paper. If you're panting, gulping, finding yourself gasping for the next breath because you're trying to breathe too long and deep, then stop it. The thing to reduce is NOT your breathing, but your body's demand for oxygen. Stop trying to thrash around like it's an Olympic event. Nothing happens FAST underwater, at least not for how we are accustomed to moving, as primarily land-based species.

Another idea, (that I haven't tried) would be to give yourself your very own slime coat. You'll need a HUGE jar of Vaseline, though.... :D

Simon and Garfunkel - The 59th Street Bridge Song. Works like a charm. :D

I think a key for me is not just how you breathe and are comfortable during the dive, but how you prep for one. Obviously, be hydrated. I take my time getting into the water when i can, and try to minimize how long i have to trek my gear to an entry point. Do a slow thorough gear check. If you are tired and rushing getting in, should you really expect to "relax" when you get in the water? Even taking a minute or two on the surface, just enjoying the scenery, whatever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom