• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

One dead, one injured off of Panama City, Florida

Discussion in 'Accidents and Incidents' started by DandyDon, Aug 18, 2012.

1. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Diver drowns 6 miles offshore | miles, offshore, panama - The News Herald
    And this news story includes an odd statement: 1 Diver is Dead Another is Hospitalized from Off Shore Mishap

2. jhayes75

jhayes75 Photographer

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    This is very sad. I read they were from Louisiana.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

3. Hetland

Hetland Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Maybe a class where they were demonstrating a skill?

and apparently divers in Panama City are more important than they are in Pensacola. The Coast Guard in Pensacola won't launch a dingey for an unresponsive diver. We're lucky to get a search-assist for a missing diver. If you're bent or unresponsive, you're SOL if you expect help in Pensacola.

---------- Post Merged at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:11 PM ----------

Another news link w/photos: http://www.wjhg.com/video/?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=7629651

---------- Post Merged at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:11 PM ----------

UPDATED: One Dead, One Injured In Diving Accident - WMBB News 13 - The Panhandle's News Leader

4. Dive-aholic

Dive-aholic Dive Shop

# of Dives:
    Last year we were out on the Oriskany when diver died there. The Coast Guard did send out a boat to help with the search.

5. Hetland

Hetland Solo Diver

... and at least one search plane that I saw, but that was because he was "missing". They will not send a thing for a bent or unresponsive diver. They certainly didn't for the two previous fatalities that occurred in Pensacola waters, or two additional incidents with bent divers that I'm aware of.

Realistically, anyone brought up unresponsive is probably SOL anyway, but it irks me to see the CG bust !@# for divers in other areas, and all we get is an ambulance at the dock.

6. moosicman

moosicman Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    So this was a commercial fishing boat or a dive boat/fishing boat or a dive boat? I'm assuming the first one but I'd like to be certain.

7. CajunDiva

CajunDiva Loggerhead Turtle

[h=3]Update from WMBB Channel 13:

UPDATED: One Dead, One Injured In Diving Accident[/h]
    Posted: Aug 18, 2012 9:49 PM CDTUpdated: Aug 19, 2012 5:12 PM CDTBy J. Michael Brown - email

UPDATE
    New details of a scuba diving accident off Panama City Beach are being released. The US Coast Guard has confirmed that the captain of the vessel involved in the incident is under investigation.
    Neither the name of the captain nor any details of that probe have been released. Coast Guard Lieutenant Michael Clausen says the divers were on board a commercial fishing boat, but the Captain told investigators that the off-shore trip was recreational.
    One diver died in the Saturday morning incident, and a second diver is being treated for decompression sickness--commonly known as "the bends."
    The injured diver was initially transported to Bay Medical Center, but a hospital spokesperson says he was later taken to another facility for treatment.
    The names of the divers have not been released.

8. Hetland

Hetland Solo Diver

I've been told the name of the boat, but there's no way for me to verify the accuracy of the information. IF the name I was given is correct, then this is a charter vessel that runs hook & line trips. It also runs dive trips through a dive shop in Panama City.

9. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Well, I think investigations are standard for any serious accident or fatality, so I have to wonder about the quality of the news reporting - and other news stories on the net may well simply be echoing the one that originally stated that. I agree with many captains in that a skipper's duty is to provide a safe ride to & from the dive site, as well as assist with exiting & boarding the boat - but I don't think he has any responsibilities for what happens below. Exceptions would include case of the dive op renting gear uses, providing DMs for lead dives, quality of tank air furnished, and the like - but I don't see any obvious implications yet.

I'd certainly like to know more about what went wrong below leading to the tragedy, not to judge but to possibly learn - if anyone has access to more info.

10. Hetland

Hetland Solo Diver

Don, a Coast Guard investigation might not have anything to do with what happened underwater, in fact, unless the Captain ran them over, I don't think the Coast Guard would have any reason to investigate an underwater accident (though they do anyway for some reason).

If he was running spearfishing charters to federal waters without the proper permits, or had more than six paying customers on his boat, or had a dead goliath grouper on board, they'd probably be interested. Not saying that's what happened, just that they may be investigating him for something other than the circumstances of the accident.