One dive day on Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looking for boat ops. Staying in Lahaina. Its seems like prices vary widely between operators. Scuba Shack seemed like one of the less expensive ones. What issue(s) have you heard about them? Thanks for advice...

tommyi:
Looking for boat ops. Staying in Lahaina. Its seems like prices vary widely between operators. Scuba Shack seemed like one of the less expensive ones. What issue(s) have you heard about them? Thanks for advice...
The only issues I've heard of have been customer-service "vibes" that weren't pleasant in the shop. I haven't heard of any safety or legal issues... and I'm planning on diving with them at some point.

I've heard Makena Coast Charters is great... and so is Dive & Sea (I can attest to the latter, haven't dove with the former).

I haven't found anyone less expensive than B&B for a charter on Maui. At $109 they are tough to beat...and ironically, I don't dive with them. :wink:

But like Kidspot has said many times on this board, there really aren't any BAD operators on island. It's a matter of finding the one that you like. If you feel good about Scuba Shack, book with them....then write a trip report so we can see some current feedback about them. :D

Thanks for info everyone. Will post again when I return form the trip. Hope everyone is enjoying the long weekend.

OK, another request for recommendations.

I will be in Maui for a week in Feb 07. Staying in Ka'anapali. I will only have time to dive one day (maybe two if I whine a lot). Does anyone have sites to recommend for that time of year? My thought would be boat diving, but am I better off shore diving? I have never been to Maui so I don't know.

Also, any dive ops recommendations are welcome, provided it doesn't start a war. I am more interested in why or why not, than who you like.

Thanks.

My husband & I just came back from Maui (Sept13 to Oct4). We dove off of Lanai'i and went to Cathedrals II and a place the dive company called "Fish Rock" (boring). Cathedrals II was interesting (interesting topography, swim thrus, face to face with a white tip reef shark) however, we weren't that impressed with the dive company, Extended Horizons. The boat is big enough for 2 groups/2 DM's. We enquired in advance whether they split the groups according to experience and were assured yes, they check before each dive. On the day of the dive, they did check, but split the groups based on whether you were buying their underwater photography package rather than experience. So, we spent the first 15 minutes of the 35 minute dive (they tell you this is how long it will be) waiting for the DM to get down with a girl who had 4 dives & had warned them in advance that she had trouble equalizing. I'm no pro, but I have 50 dives, & my husband has over 1500. Not her fault but we're paying customers too!
Mike - I know you said you've done Molokini already, but we did 2 dives on the back wall of Molokini & I have to say it rated WAY higher than Lanai'i for us (somewhat influenced by our experience with the dive company). In contrast, I cannot rave enough about the company we dove with for Molokini, Prodiver (phone# 808-875-4004). We've done a few month long dive trips & I have to say this was the best company we've been with. The boat captain and the DM were professional, helpful, and solicituous without being patronizing. Great dive briefing, lots of food............... (13 white tip reef sharks, eels, & a hawksbill turtle.)

l&j:
Mike - I know you said you've done Molokini already, but we did 2 dives on the back wall of Molokini & I have to say it rated WAY higher than Lanai'i for us (somewhat influenced by our experience with the dive company). In contrast, I cannot rave enough about the company we dove with for Molokini, Prodiver (phone# 808-875-4004). We've done a few month long dive trips & I have to say this was the best company we've been with. The boat captain and the DM were professional, helpful, and solicituous without being patronizing. Great dive briefing, lots of food............... (13 white tip reef sharks, eels, & a hawksbill turtle.)

Thanks for the tip. We are already set with Lahaina Divers for Sunday at Lanai (more out of convenience than anything, but I've been able to talk my buddy into another dive during the week. I'll call Prodiver and see if we can't get to the back side of Molokini.

Also sorry for the slow replies. I do not get any notifications.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom