One down in Cozumel today.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The report mentioned diving/diver three times and that he bought a snorkeling trip. The translation and possibly source article are not clear.

One of the important things to take from this is that nobody is dead until they've been declared dead by someone who knows how to do that AND who did a competent exam to establish death.

I've seen too many "dead people" who weren't but had been thought to be dead primarily because they weren't moving.

Reactions: JFS
I heard that he was diving, separated from the group, was was found floating by a captain alone in the boat who could not physically get him aboard. Called for help and 'dragged' him until he met up with the original op that was looking for him. They got him on board and took him to the Navy boat.

I heard that he was diving, separated from the group, was was found floating by a captain alone in the boat who could not physically get him aboard. Called for help and 'dragged' him until he met up with the original op that was looking for him. They got him on board and took him to the Navy boat.

This sounds like a much more plausible report. From previous reporting by the local news I have gained healthy skepticism to ‘news’ reports as opposed to actual events. As an example the unfortunate gentleman who passed away during his OW over the holidays, while diving off La Hatch. The local news reported that he suffered a decompression event. Later it became known that he was in shallow water and he had suffered a heart attack.

I’ll take a stab at translating, anything in parentheses is my commentary.

TOURIST DIES AT SEA, HE WAS ALIVE AND AFLOAT AND NO ONE HELPED!

The strange death of a tourist that was SCUBA diving happened this morning, the tourist identified as Gene Hugues 64 apparently suffered a blackout/passed out and was presumed dead and left floating at sea for more than an hour as per instructions from the port captain.

It wasn’t until elements of the marine search and rescue team arrived that they realized that the person floating had a weak pulse and immediately was taken to their installation where an ambulance from a private clinic was waiting.

The foreigner was taken by ambulance to the hospital where several hours later he was pronounced dead. Unofficially it was said that the tourist had a pacemaker that had stopped working while diving, but afterwards something apparently happened where the diver once again had a pulse.

The strange thing about this case is the amount of time the body was at sea without anyone knowing when he went missing (this is not clear to me), per instructions of the Port captain so he wouldn’t get in trouble with the law, as recorded and divulged in several mediums. (again not clear)

And so it is how the waters of Cozumel continue to claim the lives of tourists that in many cases health problems/accidents are silenced so that the natural beauties of the island, but the consequences are tragic. (seems like they are saying accidents are covered up so that tourism doesn’t suffer)

Note: The syntax, wording and overall reporting are, in my opinion, quite poor.

Thanks, Full Circle. Even with your help tho, the original story may well have been doubtful in facts?

I’m just translating the posted story, not making any judgement (other than on the poor writing).

I’m just translating the posted story, not making any judgement (other than on the poor writing).
Yes, I understand. My suggestions were only with the original story.

This sounds like a much more plausible report. From previous reporting by the local news I have gained healthy skepticism to ‘news’ reports as opposed to actual events. As an example the unfortunate gentleman who passed away during his OW over the holidays, while diving off La Hatch. The local news reported that he suffered a decompression event. Later it became known that he was in shallow water and he had suffered a heart attack.

Not trying to throw stones, but ask yourself what constitutes a decompression event and how shallow of water do you have to be in to not worry about depth any longer?

I agree with you on how sad it was for a gentleman to pass while on holiday. Just as it is sad that this gentleman died and it appears might have been alive while floating for an hour.

Does anyone yet know any of the circumstances with his dive/snorkeling trip?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom