One down in Cozumel today.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He was a large man and it took four of us to lift him into the boat
I had heard he was large which was what prevented the captain from being able to do much. By way of comparison, when I did my rescue cert, I moved a 150# unresponsive diver onto the boat with no one else in the water and one or perhaps two (I forget) people helping on the boat. I weigh 130# soaking wet. So to require 4 people to lift the individual says a lot. Makes you wonder about other medical conditions.

I am going to try and shed some more light on this incident. My brother in law and I with our wives were diving with another operator and had just come up for our surface interval when we heard a lot of chatter on the radio. We asked the boat captain what was wrong and he said someone was dead. We responded to the boat calling for help and passed at least 5 or 6 boats to get to the boat. We quickly got into the boat and found the diver held up out of the water with a rope through his bcd. He was a large man and it took four of us to lift him into the boat. I asked about a medic coming and he said they were on their way. Once in the boat we found him unresponsive, no heart beat, and not breathing so we immediately started CPR. As we were in the process of performing CPR those working on him were jolted with an electrical shock. I looked at his chest wall and immediately noted a pacemaker. So we knew his pacemaker was trying to shock him back into a normal cardiac rhythm. We continued working on him for 15-20 minutes when the rest of his dive group showed up on another boat. We then rotated with this group continuing CPR and traveling back toward one of the piers and met up with the medical boat. He was transferred to the medic boat. I would estimate that he received CPR for 30-40 minutes in total during transit. I don't know why he didn't have a dive buddy. i do know that he did not have his fins on when we pulled him into the boat.
My thoughts and prayers are with his family and I want them to know we did everything in our power to save him.
I am glad there are divers like you out there. Thank you. I know you did all that you could.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom