One Hour Layover Adequate to Connect GCM and LYB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with @AggieDiver , take the AA to GCM. That's the safest. I've done it and yes having to recheck bags is a pain but at least you'll be there in time for the flight. Re the 5pm flight, I agree with what @tridacna has said but I've never had it cancel on me so I guess I'm lucky. On one occasion, in 2018 I think, they flew me over to LYB even though I was literally the only passenger!

I posted this a few days ago on one of the other threads, but regardng the new otter, it sounds like maybe they found one, but I haven't seen it officially announced anywhere.

Saw this today on an aviation news website and thought it was interesting. It is the first mention I have seen that they were successful in finding another Twin Otter. Also interesting that they are looking to completely replace the TOs and Saab's with one model of plane, which will probably mean they revisit extending the runway on LC or building a new airport.

Cayman Airways CEO Fabian Whorms told ch-aviation it had secured a refurbished and overhauled DHC-6-300 to enter service later this summer to help maintain Cayman Airways Express (Grand Cayman Island) services to Little Cayman. The airfield is only certified for aircraft with 19 seats or fewer.

Regarding its current Saab (Sweden) fleet, Cayman Airways stated in its 2024-25 budget to the Parliament’s Finance Committee that it plans to replace it. However, Whorms said no aircraft model has been selected as yet. In the past, he said "we would like to replace them with a type that can also fulfil the missions that the Twin Otters currently fulfil... Then we would just have two types [in the fleet], which would make us more efficient."

Am i wrong in thinking that even if you take the Cayman air flight Miami or Tampa to GC, that all bags still have to come off to go through customs before going on to LC.

Am i wrong in thinking that even if you take the Cayman air flight Miami or Tampa to GC, that all bags still have to come off to go through customs before going on to LC.
You are not wrong. You must fully enter the Cayman Islands when you arrive from Florida.

In that case, it shouldn't matter which carrier you take to GC. Degree of hassle transferring to LC should be the same.

In that case, it shouldn't matter which carrier you take to GC. Degree of hassle transferring to LC should be the same.
Not quite. LC does not allow flights to land after dusk so depending on time of year can impact flights.

I've taken the 5.10 flight many times and not had a problem with cancellation as yet. I have been booked on that flight at times when they have left GC 15 to 20 minutes early. I guess they were concerned about dusk.

I've taken the 5.10 flight many times and not had a problem with cancellation as yet. I have been booked on that flight at times when they have left GC 15 to 20 minutes early. I guess they were concerned about dusk.
I think it is a bigger concern later in the year or in Jan-Feb when the sun is setting early. In mid to late summer, it is not an issue because the sun is setting so late.

I think it is a bigger concern later in the year or in Jan-Feb when the sun is setting early. In mid to late summer, it is not an issue because the sun is setting so late.

Happened to me in November and December. Had to spend Sat night in GC on both ocassions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom