One more basic question: split fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cheetah223:
I borrowed a pair of split fins this last weekend and overall they were pretty nice, but I managed to get a line from my reel caught in them numerous times when the reel came unclipped from my BCD and left about 20' of line behind me before I noticed it.
It sounds like you need to fix that skills problem with an equipment change. :)

divingjd:
There is no problem with split fins. They work fine in currents and some can be used pretty well for alternative kicks, although blade/paddle fins are generally more efficient for alternative kicks. Like almost all other dive gear, it depends on what you want out of it and what your personal preference is. In general, split fins require less effort than blade/paddle fins and therefore are less tiring and more efficient.
Hmmmm ... less tiring, perhaps ... depends on your technique.

More efficient ... hardly.

You can scull in them ... but it's more of a flog (flutter + frog) than a real frog kick, and it requires you to use more leg motion and less ankle ... not exactly what I'd call more efficient. Sure, there won't be as much resistance on the fin as you'd feel with a blade, but you'll work your body parts harder to achieve the same result.

Helicoptor kicks are possible in splits, but due to the dynamics of the design, you're going to lose a lot of power on the fin that's doing the backstroke ... and you'll end up going in small circles rather than rotating around the central axis of your body. Again ... not what I'd call efficient.

And I would LOVE to see you attempt reverse kicks in 'em ... you might eventually go somewhere, but not very efficiently ... and you'll use waaaay too much effort to get there.

I used Apollo BioFins for several hundred dives ... loved 'em. But I reached a point where they held me back from doing the sort of precision kicks I wanted to do. If you are the sort of diver who doesn't care about those kicks, it won't be important.

However, the DIR regimen teaches these kicks, and they are a fundamental part of the skills you learn at the earliest stages of the program. Since this was asked in the DIR forum, perhaps the OP wants the DIR answer, which is simply that split fins are not the appropriate tool for the kicks you will be learning to use.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
And I would LOVE to see you attempt reverse kicks in 'em ... you might eventually go somewhere, but not very efficiently ... and you'll use waaaay too much effort to get there.

Ask me to do a reverse kick with my splits and I'll demonstrate a perfect headstand.

Thanks to all for your input. I dived for many years (including before c-cards were required) with standard fins. I succumbed to marketing hype earlier this year and bought a pair of split fins when I finally went dry (and needed a bigger foot pocket.) My frog kicks went to hell-in-a-handbasket, and I have generally felt less in control than in the past. This has helped me to conclude that the issue truly is the fins, not the transition to a drysuit. Guess I could have saved a few bucks if I had posted first! Oh well, my LDS really loves me...especially when I change my mind and buy the replacement item! :D

One other observation. It's interesting to observe how "passionate" DIR proponents continue to remain after all these years. Years ago...pre public internet...I lurked and carried on discussions with George Irvine on Compuserve. The same discussions continue today in this much-more-convenient medium. I do have some "relics" of those days though. My backup lights are handmade out of a single piece of Delrin, made by someone in WKPP who crafted them before they were commercially available. They are the only pieces of equipment that have not been replaced over the needs.

NWGratefulDiver:
Hmmmm ... less tiring, perhaps ... depends on your technique.

I used Apollo BioFins for several hundred dives ... loved 'em. But I reached a point where they held me back from doing the sort of precision kicks I wanted to do. If you are the sort of diver who doesn't care about those kicks, it won't be important.

However, the DIR regimen teaches these kicks, and they are a fundamental part of the skills you learn at the earliest stages of the program. Since this was asked in the DIR forum, perhaps the OP wants the DIR answer, which is simply that split fins are not the appropriate tool for the kicks you will be learning to use.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've been in an experimental phase with a pair of the silver apollo's. They are stiffer then the yellow ones. For straight flutter kicks they can't be beat but I agree you can do frog kicks in them but they lack the precision of the jet style fin.

Also I have been unable to go backwards with them which is a major negative.

I think most rec divers don't realize what you can actually do with precision finning. I never knew you could actually swim backwards until I took DIR-F.

crosing:
I never knew you could actually swim backwards until I took DIR-F.

Some can't swim backwards even after taking DIR-F! :wink: Darn sure took me a while!

PerroneFord:
Some can't swim backwards even after taking DIR-F! :wink: Darn sure took me a while!
Me too ... I was doing the "rocking chair" for quite a while, after which I moved on to the "shrimp dance" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Some split fins ads claim they give you more bottom time. For example, Apollo bio-fins are advertised as giving you 25% more bottom time because "less effort is required, breathing and pulse rates are reduced significantly," (scubatoys.com) and this may (or may not) be true in comparison to regular paddle fin flutter kick, but I don't believe it applies to the frog. Split fin divers I've seen (in fact, I used to be one of them) tend to use a small but constant flutter kick, whereas I just glide after each of my frogkicks. The gliding gives me a relaxing break between each kick and I believe makes my movements very efficient, probably more efficient than I'd be with the split fins. In fact, when I was in Coz earlier this month there was a group of split fin divers on the boat. They were the first ones up... not that this proves anything.

P.S. I sold my Tusa x-pert zoom split fins shortly after taking DIRF.

*Floater*:
Split fin divers I've seen tend to use a small but constant flutter kick, whereas I just glide after each of my frogkicks. The gliding gives me a relaxing break between each kick and I believe makes my movements very efficient, probably more efficient than I'd be with the split fins.
I've found that in many cases, just an occasional "flick" of the fins is enough to move me along pretty well in low current situations. It's a very relaxing way to do a dive.

It's a shame that most divers just don't have a clue how efficient they could be with good body position (horizontal trim, solid mechanics, etc), proper weighting, and well-configured equipment. If OW instructors would take the time to work on these skills with their entry-level divers, then we wouldn't really need to argue about which fin is "more efficient" or "better suited". We could all just go diving, and be able to enjoy it that much more.

The sad thing is that this has absolutely nothing to do with DIR, but often people are put off by it when it's couched in a DIR context. It's really more about the diver than it is the gear.

DIR-Atlanta:
It's really more about the diver than it is the gear.

How many things could we say THIS about?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom