One more reason to do a safety stop!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last month during a safety stop on Shark Canyon (W. Palm Beach), there were so many barracudas at 20', that they looked like sardines. Just looking at me.

I remember when I was diving in Indonesia, during the safety stops, we always saw those huge groups of tiny blue fishes, what we call the "bubbles of fish", all swimming in the same direction, taking u-turns at exactly the same time...

I find them amazing :)

My favorite is Coco View. The reef hits the sand at about 15 feet. We've seen an amazing amount of stufff, from reef squid to morays to scorpion fish to sea horses. (I'm sure Dee will agree with me on this.)

I agree. Safety stops are way underated.

Rick...wanna know my favorite shallow spot? Right there where the chain takes a right and drops down into the sand flats where the bouy is located, the one you hang the strobe on for night dives. That area is right at 20ft and we call it Safety Stop Flats! I've seen a little bit of everything right there....squid, octopus, crabs, blennies, salps, garden eels, etc. Like this....

aab.sized.jpg

and this....

aak.sized.jpg

I like to go out there just at dawn to watch the changes of the guard. A great way to start your day!

Dee,
I agree absolutely! We've seen an amazing amount there. It stuns me that folks will swim in from the Albert and just cruise right on by, or hang like the dead at the chain and NEVER ONCE look around them. We've done a number of hour + "safety stops". :D

Your trip must be soon, eh? Have a GREAT time!

Back
Top Bottom