How to deal with the “coral breaker”?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where I live, we solved the "bad behavior" problem at our boat ramp on major holiday weekends by positioning a Constable in the middle of the ramp to solve those kinds of issues. It's amazing what the presence of a LEO can do to increase the level of cooperation and courtesy. In addition there are often a group of locals, sitting on the side of the ramp with signs, grading the performance and courtesy of boaters launching and recovering their boats, with signs ranging from 1-10, plus "A**hole."
I prefer to go down and help people launch/pull in their boats.

It beats sitting in my car getting aggravated how long it takes people to launch. I even once backed someone's boat for them. I offered after a number of repeated attempts, the last one they almost jackknifed.

Doing so makes everyone's life better. I was fortunate to start boating around the age of 10.

Where I live, we solved the "bad behavior" problem at our boat ramp on major holiday weekends by positioning a Constable in the middle of the ramp to solve those kinds of issues.
Mr. In Between would probably do a better job! :wink:

In all fairness you did not get on the boat before him grab an oar and beat him over the head while he was trying to get back on the boat yelling "This is what you're doing to the reef! This is what you're doing to the reef!"

We must remember the most important part of communication is that what is heard matches of what is intended. Had you done this, I think you would have communicated successfully.. :p

Edit: was I successful in creating an image of t
Mr. In Between would probably do a better job! :wink:
Can’t disrespect the coral.

…then it would then be "game-on" and I would make it my business and it would not be pleasant for him.
If you have to get in somebody’s face, then you’re doing it wrong. You won’t make your point and you’ll ruin the comity of the boat. Have some respect for the other divers and take it as an aside to the DM/Captain. It’s their job to protect the marine park and manage the customers.

Regardless of @wetb4igetinthewater ’s magical statistics 😊, most DMs of reputable dive shops don’t let customers destroy coral for “tips.” It’s not their first rodeo. If you don’t get a satisfactory response, then take it up with the shop. If you still get “no joy,” vote with your fins; come back to social media; tell your story, and “let them have it”…name names.

Looking at the bigger picture…a dive op that drops hundreds/thousands of divers without attempting to protect the reef from “coral destroyers” is a much bigger problem than one dumba$$ photog.

Recreational diving is supposed to be fun. When on a rec dive boat I try to do the following: be a "no drama diver,"dive like I care, set a good example, have some empathy, even a little humility, and be nice. All IMHO, YMMV.
:clearmask::bounce::bounce::bounce:😊

Reactions: Zef
I’ve been forced to drop down in front of a diver, stick a fin blade 3 inches from their face and then vigorously kick them in the mouth amd mask. By the time she recovered, I was a good distance away and played dumb. It did work as a means to disrupt her behavior.
However my actions were taken to protect the diver rather than coral- she was trying to pet a large turtle’s head who was facing her and already delivered a half hearted warning snap of the jaws. I was quite sure she was in imminent danger of loosing a few digits.

Maybe that would work and if the guy complained you just apologize for bad buoyancy control and fin control??

I’ve been forced to drop down in front of a diver, stick a fin blade 3 inches from their face and then vigorously kick them in the mouth amd mask. By the time she recovered, I was a good distance away and played dumb.
You were "forced' to do that? And then you "played dumb"?

So, in the end, the other diver surfaced with the impressions that (1) she was doing nothing wrong and wasn't endangering herself by annoying the critters and (2) you have poor diving skills.

Here are possible solutions:

1. Video/photograph the guy in action and have a private discussion with him about the issue/concern and show him your video/pictures.

2. Have a private discussion with the dive master, boat captain, organizer, shop owner, etc. to let them know of the issue and your concern, and let them handle it.

3. Sureptitiously obtain the guy's camera and throw it overboard never to be seen again. This should reduce the amount of taskloading he is experiencing and will hopefully improve his diving.

4. Ask to see his camera and then feign a stumble to cover tossing it overboard never to be seen again. This shouldl reduce the amount of taskloading he is experiencing and will hopefully improve his diving.

5. Dive with blinders or in a different area/direction than the guy. I don't condone touching/breaking coral but unfortunately there are a lot of boobs out there that despite their training and knowing better will still dive in a reckless manner either inadvertently or for personal gains such as getting the photograph....this is not specifically a new or taskloaded diver issue as I have many times seen folks who have lots of experience with big fancy camera rigs grab onto whatever they decide to so that they can get the shots they want. Unfortunately, unless you plan to play the role of "Ocean Police", you are better off creating situations for yourself where you are unaware of the damage/destruction that those boobs out there are doing.

AND yes I know that recommendation #5 does not fix the "problem", and it still leaves behind a path of destruction that affects the greater diving community, but one has to decide for themself what windmills one is going to tilt at and there are lots of things before and after one splashes that affect the health of the reefs and the oceans....one could argue that our very presence diving around a reef is somewhat invasive and destructive....some of that destruction is not visible otherwise apparent during an actual dive. Is some destruction more acceptable than others? Is some less acceptable because it is more immediately apparent? One has to evaluate this, do some personal rational calculus and decide for themself what is acceptable.

-Z
I like 1, 3, and 4

Reactions: Zef
I don't think one should be that worried about "triggering the fight or flight response". His response is largely out of your control. "Are you aware that you are destroying up to 400 year old coral by your holding it with your hands and kicking it with your fins? Please stop doing that."
I vote for that direct approach

You were "forced' to do that? And then you "played dumb"?

So, in the end, the other diver surfaced with the impressions that (1) she was doing nothing wrong and wasn't endangering herself by annoying the critters and (2) you have poor diving skills.
Better that than having her think I deliberately kicked her in the face and am an ahole, Right? Actually it is a true story and I probably really did prevent a serious injury. Have you ever seen a loggerhead eat a conch? It is impressive, especially if you have ever tried to break one open.

As just fellow divers aboard the boat, it's not our place to police other divers, it's the dive masters.

I would definitely mention it to the dive operator/DM at the very least.

If the dive op doesn't care then maybe mention to the offending diver something along the lines of... "I hope they don't see you killing all that coral, it's a 50,000 peso fine..." and hope that scares him into correcting his behavior. But really there's not much you can do, if you have to explain it then he probably just doesn't care.

You can report the dive op to the Mexican government. If they get in trouble they'll definitely start caring how their divers behave.

If I remember correctly there's a URL printed on the brown wristbands that we all pay for to help marine park conservation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom