One SPG only..?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks all for your helpful answers - I start to understand.

Yet I think this is apparently not only the mental awareness that is required but also the mental coolness. I agree that in most of the dives one knows (especially by experience) what one's gas consumption rate is and subsequently what residual gas supply still is in the tank. And yet you can get into non-forseeable situations where you have to shut off your tanks and solve other problems at the same time. If this is furthermore coupled with varying depth ranges and higher breath rates and you still know what is in your tank then you all have my deepest respect.

I am not so presumptuous to claim that I am ever capable of attaining this "Jedi-knight"-type of self-control. There are situations out there that I cannot anticipate and thus control or influence (we're dealing with nature, at last). And a additional back-up is incredibly comforting, especially when one has survived a precarious situation. Probably that is the point that distinguishes the DIRs from the rest of the (divers) world.... Thanks again.

jonnythan:
Novadiver, again note that this is the DIR forum.

I know that this is the DIR forum. At least I answered the question without degrading the diver for asking.

I also noted that I'm not DIR. The question is a valid question about a technical rig.

By the way, yesterday my dive consisted of changing to 50/50 at 50 feet. With stops at 40,30 and a 15 min. stop at 20 feet, I planned the dive useing " deco planner" that I bought from GUE ( didn't bootleg my copy) .

In the future , should I ask to have question moved to the tech forum if I want to answer them?

novadiver:
I know that this is the DIR forum. At least I answered the question without degrading the diver for asking.

I also noted that I'm not DIR. The question is a valid question about a technical rig.

By the way, yesterday my dive consisted of changing to 50/50 at 50 feet. With stops at 40,30 and a 15 min. stop at 20 feet, I planned the dive useing " deco planner" that I bought from GUE ( didn't bootleg my copy) .

In the future , should I ask to have question moved to the tech forum if I want to answer them?

Did Deco Planner tell you to switch at 50'? (I'm just curious)

VeniVidi:
Dear all,

As far as I have learned, there is only one submersible pressure gauge (on the left hand side) required in a DIR configuration.
Can anybody explain me why redundancy is not applicable for SPGs since they deliver the most vital information a diver requires? I am thinking of the emergency case when one has to shut off the left tank and abort dive with the right tank. Then there is nothing one can control the residual gas supply.

I have never understood this concept for why I always dive with two SPGs. If someone can tell me if I there is a misconception from my side, I would be grateful for anybody who is (cap)able to illuminate me...

VeniVidi,
This is actually a very good question but it is against TOS to debate DIR techniques on this forum. If you post on a tech forum we would be free to discuss this openly.

boomx5:
Did Deco Planner tell you to switch at 50'? (I'm just curious)

I programmed my deco gas and the PPo2 I wanted for the stops. Deco planner told my the times needed to hit the M value that I wanted.

I really like the deco planner softwaer. and if you have any more questions about it , ask them on the tech forum. I'm not into the abuse I get here.

VeniVidi:
And yet you can get into non-forseeable situations where you have to shut off your tanks and solve other problems at the same time. If this is furthermore coupled with varying depth ranges and higher breath rates and you still know what is in your tank then you all have my deepest respect.

The point at which you had to shut off a tank, your dive ended.

When your dive ended you ether have enough gas to get home or don't. Having a second SPG isn't going to help you one iota at this point.

novadiver:

Presumably, the diver would have asked the question in the tech forum or basic scuba discussions forum if they wanted a non-DIR answer.

Nova diver, et al... please resist the urge to turn this thread into and excuse for me to shovel you down the old chute of oblivion.

As it stands you are fine. But it is only inches to the door.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom