One strobe or two?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking at purchasing a Reefmaster RC camera - but am stuck on deciding whether to get the Pro kit with one strobe, or the Maxx kit with two. I haven't done underwater photography before, but am willing to get decent gear up front. I'm choosing the Reefmaster because of its high shutterspeed (1/140th), and relatively large aperture (f 3.5). Is the second strobe really worth the extra money, and in what situations would it prove useful? I'm looking at a dive photography course, but would like to have the camera beforehand so I can do it with my own equipment. Also, is a wide angle lens available for this camera? I haven't seen reference to one anywhere.

cheers,

Ben

A person on another forum asked questions about getting a blue washed-out section on his shots... he was using the camera you are talking about.

Unfortunately, it looks like the way the external flash works is through a redirector from the internal/built in flash. And that can possibly cause the problem he was experiencing due to light leakage from the internal strobe through the redirector.

Also, it doesn't look like you can change the angle of the external strobe or detach it to use freehand with the camera.

Can you fill me in on the above at all?

~SubMariner~

unfortunately, the reefmaster is about as good as it gets for that price range. I looked at the reefmaster maxx and the instructions tell you to keep the lights parallel to the internal flash or it won't work. But I think with the dual lights you'll have less backscatter than a single light source that is aimed head on. I have used an MX10 in the past(fixed light source close to the camera-not a good idea) but got so much backscatter on my photos that I didn't buy one of those. So what did I get? I got the sea and sea motormarine II deluxe package with the external strobe - it was (gulp) $1600.00 for the whole package but I know I'll always want to record my diving memories and I never want to think that my poor photos are the result of a lesser camera-just a lesser photographer.

I think the reefmaster maxx is a good choice if you don't want to fiddle with all those knobs......and save $1000.00 dollars.

Not to cast any pall on the Reefmaster, but there are lots of used or relatively new MMIIs out there. Notice I said MMII, not MMII Ex, which is the newer model. You can probably get an MMII with strobes & lenses for about what you'll pay for a new Reefmaster. And IMHO, get a better, more flexible/upgradable system.

Take a look here and you'll see pictures that were ALL taken with MMIIs:

http://y42.briefcase.yahoo.com/pgdaley2001

Some of them are pretty decent, methinks. :wink:

~SubMariner~

Get a used MXII.....I got a new MIIex AFTER I looked over the Reefmaster. I would have bought a used one if I new more about cameras and what to look for....and besides I got the money....

There is no advantage to a high shutter speed. For most shot 1/60th is more than enough. Water slows movement down and you don't need a high speed shutter.

Hi, Ben!

Two things to consider besides two strobes:

(1) Because focusing underwater is somewhat more difficult than on land, using an aperature of f3.5 will usually be very unsatisfactory. I typically do not go much below f16!

(2) A shutter speed of 1/140 is also of little value unless you do natural light photography. Typically, 1/60 is what you will use with strobes.

As regard strobes: I have two strobes for my Nikonos--not necessarily for more light, though. It helps eliminate backscatter and it allows me to light subjects more evenly. I use one as a master and one as a slave. Much of my photograpy is done with TTL because I have found that bracketing by changing the ISO setting helps get the picture if I can actually shoot more than one of the subject. Sometimes, though, the fish do not cooperate!

Before you jump in feet first, I suggest you read Church's book on u/w photography--it is directed at Nikonos users, but the "rules" apply to all u/w photography. There is also a book by Edge that is more comprehensive...

What you are about to find out is that the rules for underwater photography are very different than those for land photography. That is mainly because light gets absorbed at a greater "rate" u/w and it is very selective absorbtion towards the red end of the spectrum. You will also find that wider angle lenses with their greater depth of field will be more valuable...

I hope this helps...

Joewr

check out the book: Coral Seas by the Australian Marine biologist/photog Roger Steene.

Every picture in that book was taken using a single strobe mounted directly above the camera (at an adjustable angle of course). With enough skill, one can use even a smaller ikelite type strobe (Substrobe 50/MS etc) with a moderately wide angle lens (24mm housed, which is roughly equivalent to the 28mm on a viewfinder camera). There is a bit of a learning curve and comfort & skill in the water are an absolute must, but one can get a lot of great shots with relatively modest equipment.

I Use the Reefmaster with one strobe. You can see some of my pics Here This was my first attempt attempt at underwater photography. I'm happy with the results! :)

Tavi

First time pics? No way!!! They are EXCELLENT! Great focus & composition!

However, I think you could definitely benefit from either getting closer, a more powerful strobe, or dual strobes. The less-lit/unlit areas are in focus, but because there isn't quite enough light, you have a very definite area of light vs dark.

BTW, verrrrrry cool shark pic.

Stan Waterman, watch out... Tavi's coming! :)

~SubMariner~

Back
Top Bottom