Ongoing certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingGal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I was in one of the LDS that I frequent yesterday, and was talking about upcoming events and classes. One of the classes is for training on the rebreather.

Now I'm not interested (yet) on acquiring this skill or using a rebreather, but I'm curious enough to find out more about them. After basic questions of what was involved in the training, the cost of the course and the equipment, I also asked if you could rent the equipment. Though I was told arrangements could be made for me to use one in training (I know the owner of the store - and he said I could rent his), it was preferable that I would get my own. The reason given, is the source of my question.

I was told that rebreather certification required you to be activily using the equipment. If you did not dive with it for 90 days, you were required to be recertified. (No agency was discussed so I don't know if this is a factor or not) Is this true?

Originally posted by DivingGal
Though I was told arrangements could be made for me to use one in training (I know the owner of the store - and he said I could rent his), it was preferable that I would get my own.

It is my understanding that they are _horribly_ expensive. I was talking to the owner of a LDS who is heavy into rebreathers. I forgot what he dives [the inspiration or something like that], but he said it's about $6000. Diversdiscount has the Drager Ray for $1700. The Dolphin is $3355, and the Halcyon is close to $8000.

I was told that rebreather certification required you to be activily using the equipment. If you did not dive with it for 90 days, you were required to be recertified. (No agency was discussed so I don't know if this is a factor or not) Is this true?

I'm not sure there would be anyone that would be able to inforce such a thing... I don't know the specifics of the Dragers, but the one that Tom dives just has 2 steel 19s, one with air, one with O2. Once you have the rebreather, all you would need is fills on those tanks and the CO2 scrubbing stuff... but even than how do they know how frequently you dive.

I do know that things are much different with rebreathers. In a closed-circuit system, since the gas levels never change, you have to drastically unlearn certain givens in bouyancy control. You won't sink on exhale, and you won't rise on inhale. As Cliff Simoneau put it... you have to re-train yourself to think swimming _around_ things, rather than over them...

Originally posted by DivingGal
I was in one of the LDS that I frequent yesterday, and was talking about upcoming events and classes. One of the classes is for training on the rebreather.

Now I'm not interested (yet) on acquiring this skill or using a rebreather, but I'm curious enough to find out more about them. After basic questions of what was involved in the training, the cost of the course and the equipment, I also asked if you could rent the equipment. Though I was told arrangements could be made for me to use one in training (I know the owner of the store - and he said I could rent his), it was preferable that I would get my own. The reason given, is the source of my question.

Policies depend on the unit, manufacturer and agency.. The draeger units are scr units and a relatively simple. CCR units are a different story, they require extensive training but there are affordable units, the inspiration sells for around $6000 US, the high end CCRS sell for around 20K.. AT $6000 its in the range most tech divers spend on gear, I know I have at least 20K of dive gear not counting my rebreather.. I have an Inspiration and am an instructor, this year I'm upgrading to an Infinito thats probably the Mercedes of all rebreathers.

The reason for having to own the unit is simple, if you don't use it you will need a refresher... I have alot of hours on my unit and even being an instructor after a layoff of not using the unit on the first dive I feel a bit unconfortable its definately not like Open circuit.. Apvalves parent company of Ambient pressure diving the makers of the Inspiration, getscertifiction details of all divers by whatever agency trained the diver. In the US you can only get Inspiration certified through ANDI or IANTD, if you fail to purchase a unit (even used units are supposed to be registered with APD) with 90 days you will have to take a refresher class before you will be allowed to purchase a unit.

My curiousity seems to be endless... as I said I'm not interested in getting into rebreathers yet, but perhaps someday (when I win the lottery so I can afford the unit, the training, and the ongoing use )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom