Online Nitrox and SDA??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There was a shop in Bonaire that advertised the computer Nitrox course with no tables or math etc.... I think it was one day and $89. Just seen the sign on the sidewalk I didn't look into it any more than that.
And I guess it's popular. If you had logged 50 dives and an instructor told you that was all you really needed, it'd sound good. "Oh man! He's going to show me how use my computer so I don't have to read that book, and dive nitrox" :silly:

Im getting my card tomorrow and will be leaving for Puerto Rico on thursday mourning. I promise if I get a nitrox fill I was document it with pictures.

Im getting my card tomorrow and will be leaving for Puerto Rico on thursday mourning. I promise if I get a nitrox fill I was document it with pictures.
Well, you certainly want to get one Nx tank at least to see how it goes over, demand a refund if it doesn't. I don't care if you get pics or not, up to you, but let us know. I'm glad Bertha veered north. Have a good trip...

Another suspect is this one: Online SCUBA Gear

I am not sure if onlinescuba.com sell their own version, or if it is an SDA product?

I've got an answer from onlinescuba.com on their product:

[#1006]: Online Nitrox courseWednesday, July 9, 2008 4:21 PM
From: "Online Scuba Support" <support@onlinescuba.com>Add sender to Contacts To: @yahoo.com

Hello:

The agency is "SDA" (Scuba Divers of America). An accredited new agency is a perfect way to describe it! Accredited the same as PADI, NAUI, SSI, YMCA, NASE, CMAS, IDEA, NASDS, etc...

The customer's concern is... "Will it work?" "Can I go anywhere and get Nitrox?" The answer is Yes!

Online Scuba Customer Support

Ticket History (Client) Posted On: 06 Jul 2008 07:11 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the certifying agency of your $79 online nitrox course? Is it TDI, SDI, PADI?? Or is it SDA?

Ticket Details
Ticket ID: 1006
Department: General Support
Priority: Low

I rather doubt that. The only one I've been near took someone's leg off at the hip, and he was remarkably lucky to survive. And that was in the US.

The us is full of slackers anyway :wink:

PADI has just addressed this issue in the third quarter training bulletin. Just got mine yesterday. Onlinescubalessons.com, David Holt(?), and Aquatropics(?) are not and have never been PADI members. Academic Programs offered by these entities are NOT valid for PADI ow referrals or certifications. I don't have time to quote the whole thing now but basically it says that at a recent meeting RSTC member agencies have determined they cannot accept nonaffiliated training programs as meeting their specific academic requirements. I'm guessing that they do not meet the standards for other programs(Nitrox) as well. Later this evening I'll post the full text. It seems that a number of these on-line programs have popped up over the last 2-3 years. None of them are accepted. I know looking over the course I would not be able to accept them as meeting YMCA standards. As well as the fact that I require 6-7 weeks of academic and pool sessions for certification. Unless someone has 3-4 nights a week that they can attend class. Then I can perhaps get it done in 3-4 but that is very unusual and very expensive as I have a life as well and private lessons of that type will cost a bit more.

Was that tank in hydrop Peter? I spoke with a Key Largo fellow once who described that happening to him. I'm sure it's a pain to pick up every tank, set it in the water tub to fill, then pull it out - and I have seldom seen that approached used, but it sounds safer
Sounds like the same incident, Don. 10 years ago-ish? I was about half a mile away when it happened. I don't know whether it was in hydro, but I thought I was told at the time that it was.

:thumb: Cool. It was said earlier of the SDI course "The SDI nitrox is a computer nitrox course. They only cover how to use your computer with nitrox and not using tables and teach you the math involved with nitrox." Was that true...?[/QUOTE]

True with SDI no math but had to show I could do the math for my PADI cert.

So did you get a fill or did you not come back?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom