Online Nitrox Certification Course(s)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bottom line I lost my NASDS card and was being told no way to get a new one (fire and so on). I used his service and he helped me.
I feel that you started on the right path. It absolutely makes sence to put money in to a nitrox course instead of just replacing a C-card. In your case you didn't have a choice.
Yes, it was good that they were able to help you. However, upon completing your on-line course did an instructor go over your test?

Did he explain how to analyze a Nitrox cylinder? Did he have you analyze at least two Nitrox cylinders? Did he show you how to set the FO2 on your dive computer? Did he have you set at least three different nitrox mixes on your dive computer?

Did you fully understand Nitrox after your on-line course?

I feel that you started on the right path. It absolutely makes sence to put money in to a nitrox course instead of just replacing a C-card. In your case you didn't have a choice.
Yes, it was good that they were able to help you. However, upon completing your on-line course did an instructor go over your test?

Did he explain how to analyze a Nitrox cylinder? Did he have you analyze at least two Nitrox cylinders? Did he show you how to set the FO2 on your dive computer? Did he have you set at least three different nitrox mixes on your dive computer?

Did you fully understand Nitrox after your on-line course?

I have not done the Nitrox yet I got my OW NASDS card replaced with a SDA. I then took a PADI refresher at my LDS and got my Padi OW. I am now thinking I may take the online Nitrox from SDA or some other group, or I may do it at my local LDS. 3 of us will be taking it.

FO2 on your dive computer is pretty simple for anyone who can read instructions, I have been with my fiends who check their Nitrox tanks again nothing real hard. I am not sure why some try to make it sound like you're getting MD licence. Back when I started diving guys did their own mixes. Would I today? nope but anyone with a more than a lukewarm IQ can learn this stuff. I know for insurance sake you have too but really come on in all reality Nitrox should be part of your OW base certification, but you know you gotta put another dollar in.

Well, if your near a Diver's Supply they got it on special for like $70 for an SDI Computer Nitrox class.

This thread got me thinking I should actually look to retake the class from another agency, wasn't really satisfied with my own class.

Hatul,

The problem with the SDA course is the student does not go over the key parts of the course with an instructor.

Those key elements being how to properly analyze a tank, how to set the mix on their dive computer or use the dive tables and making sure the student understands all the questions and correct answers on the on-line test.

Don't you agree that these key points are vital?

Good point beaver...so I have a question. Do any of the well known organizations (PADI, SSI,SDI NAUI etc) allow a pure on-line only, card's coming in the mail nitrox course? If these guys don't, and another does, I'd be suspect. Even on-line colleges and universities require some direct contact with professors and classmates in order for you to complete the class.

just to make sure -- we are talking about S D A not having acceptance/recognized by most agencies (whether a particular shop will accept it is up to them) - not S D I -- which is accepted, yes ?

online colleges & uni's are different - but they still require accreditation and not all/some/any credits may transfer to another school depending on the accrediting agency.
SDA is apparently from prior discussions here is only accredited by itself although claims it is by "ANY" agency - who usually offer their own online courses.

I think i'll start F.A.S.T. -- Florida Association of Scuba Training and see if i can get any takers for cards...
hmm F.A.S.T. will get you diving fast! as a slogan? (yes i'm joking about starting this) but i can see it possible for a modest layout. how much would depend on if you actually take out a business license/permits for it. As long as you don't claim to be accepted everywhere and actually send a physical card -- you are providing an actual product albeit a shady one.

bottom line - stick with an established agency - but shop around for the best deal. i did my nitrox in an actual classroom - i like being able to ask questions of the instructor now and in the future. my price was very reasonable but for certain courses they use a sliding scale depending on how many people sign up - valid business model as long as they are still making a profit - which includes repeat business.

just to make sure -- we are talking about S D A not having acceptance/recognized by most agencies (whether a particular shop will accept it is up to them) - not S D I -- which is accepted, yes ?
Yes !

just making sure since Hatul said never had his card refused -- wanted to make sure his was actually SDA not SDI .. but it makes one think - if some of the shops/charters are taking the SDA cards - do they just not care, do they not know about them, getting them confused with SDI, or are they just assuming a card that says nitrox certified no matter where from means you are trained in it at least to minimum ISO standards?

it might be safe to assume that the major agencies teach at least the min ISO standards or beyond for a particular course - assuming a standard exists for a particular specialty.

just making sure since Hatul said never had his card refused -- wanted to make sure his was actually SDA not SDI .. but it makes one think - if some of the shops/charters are taking the SDA cards - do they just not care, do they not know about them, getting them confused with SDI, or are they just assuming a card that says nitrox certified no matter where from means you are trained in it at least to minimum ISO standards?

it might be safe to assume that the major agencies teach at least the min ISO standards or beyond for a particular course - assuming a standard exists for a particular specialty.

I think you're making a big issue out of nothing. We're not talking cave diving. There are not a lot of skills or knowledge to use nitrox safely. Practically speaking: be able to verify the O2 content of the tank and stay above the max operating depth. And most computers will tell you the latter. And any reasonable nitrox course will include this and more.

In fact without mentioning names at I've seen a dive operator not even check certification. They give you a nitrox tank and tell you to stay above the MOD in a guided dive.

Good way to get people dead. What happens when the computer dies and a diver needs to do MOD's, EAD's, and best mixes the old way? Can they? What's your MOD for 26%?
And how does your CNS clock look after three dives with the mix?

Good way to get people dead. What happens when the computer dies and a diver needs to do MOD's, EAD's, and best mixes the old way? Can they? What's your MOD for 26%?
And how does your CNS clock look after three dives with the mix?

I don't think the PADI courses teach those things anyway (Mine certainly didnt). To be fair I was pretty pissed off leaving my Nitrox course with PADI's over reliance on computers and how micky mouse the course was by taking the usual PADI approach of reading a book and answering some terribly written multiple guesses.

Back
Top Bottom