Online Nitrox Certification Course(s)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good way to get people dead. What happens when the computer dies and a diver needs to do MOD's, EAD's, and best mixes the old way? Can they? What's your MOD for 26%?
And how does your CNS clock look after three dives with the mix?
Every shop I've gotten a fill from requires me to write the MOD directly on the tank myself when I pick up the tank.

When in doubt, stop diving. Simple solution, nobody dies, and worst thing that happens is you've wasted a couple hundred bucks. Not great but certainly not the end of the world and not worth making a big deal about.

That said, I took the TDI nitrox class simply because it taught tables vice (or plus) computers.

Good way to get people dead. What happens when the computer dies and a diver needs to do MOD's, EAD's, and best mixes the old way? Can they? What's your MOD for 26%?
And how does your CNS clock look after three dives with the mix?

The formula for partial pressure of O2 in atm at any depth in feet is (depth/33+1) * FIO2 ( for 26% FIO2=.26) . If you set that to 1.4, the depth is the MOD, which you can solve for. Or you can download a nice iPhone app to work that out for you or use a spreadsheet or get a table. Any nitrox dive computer displays that as well. For 26% it's 145 feet.

As far as long term O2 toxicity you're unlikely to reach that in recreational diving.

Good point beaver...so I have a question. Do any of the well known organizations (PADI, SSI,SDI NAUI etc) allow a pure on-line only, card's coming in the mail nitrox course? If these guys don't, and another does, I'd be suspect. Even on-line colleges and universities require some direct contact with professors and classmates in order for you to complete the class.
As far as I know, all of the major SCUBA agencies require direct contact w/ a SCUBA instructor. I know for a fact, SCUBA Diving International (SDI) does.

I agree. If an agency just sends the Nitrox C-card w/o a follow-up w/ an instructor, then I would question that certification.

I would defer to the anesthesiologist on the gas breathing questions 😉

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom