OnlineScubaLessons.com is a SCAM!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He, he, he.... I think Thalassamania, Walter, and Dandydon are on the board of directors....

I realize you are trying to be funny, but associating my name with a company with which I've never done business nor recommended is not funny, IMO. I am not on their board of directors nor am I associated with them in any way. I seriously doubt either Thalassamania or Dandydon have any association with them either.

If we were talking circumstances that required legal counsel, then I fully agree the $179 price tag would be cheap. This solicitation, though, didn't come from anyone claiming to be a law firm. In fact, they did their best to appear to be representing the publisher. The return address on the email was (publishername)@(otherdomain.com) rather than the normal (representativename)@(publishername.com).

A reputable law firm offering such a service would have sent a letter, most likely only in response to an inquiry (reputable law firms don't need to spam the internet to drum up business), and if said letter were via e-mail, it would not have come from a poorly aliased address. In my experience, reputable firms don't need to hide their identities. I would accept an address like "copyrightdept@smithlegal.org", but this spam was more like if I was trying to scam scuba divers by sending out solicitations from "nauicert@gumstumpISP.com".

It made me wonder if they thought I had "stupid" written on my forehead or something. They weren't offering to do anything complicated; they were offering to fill out the U.S. Copyright forms, and file them with the Copyright office along with 2 copies of the manuscript. Mine was a very simple copyright registration; all original work, no compilations or derivatives, no co-authors, all fiction (hence no trade secrets), etc. Basic copyright protection was already established by virtue of the publication, but $35 for full registration is cheap for the additional layer of intellectual property protection.

Should do some homework, like e-mailing padi to see if they're legit.
lesson learned

Should do some homework, like e-mailing padi to see if they're legit.
lesson learned
I don't think it's that simple. Doubt that Padi would comment.

There aren't really any way to tell which "agencies" are legit. It seems to come down to which agencies' cards are commonly recognized, and that's not easy to determine.

Scubaboard may be the best place for an informed opinion, and even then it's a judgment call on whom to believe.

I realize you are trying to be funny, but associating my name with a company with which I've never done business nor recommended is not funny, IMO. I am not on their board of directors nor am I associated with them in any way. I seriously doubt either Thalassamania or Dandydon have any association with them either.

Sorry, Walter, simply making fun of the fact that many of the dive shops they said are affiliated with them are flatly denying any affiliation.

Sorry, Walter, simply making fun of the fact that many of the dive shops they said are affiliated with them are flatly denying any affiliation.

I don't see how that relates to Thalassamania, Dandydon or me.

A reputable law firm offering such a service would have sent a letter, most likely only in response to an inquiry (reputable law firms don't need to spam the internet to drum up business)

A reputable law firm IMHO, wouldn't have sent any solicitation in the first place.

Basic copyright protection was already established by virtue of the publication

Actually, its even easier and earlier than that - your entire set of copyrights are established the moment you put it on paper (or into your tape recorder if you dictated it) - and you also have full rights as well to any drafts you created in the process.

$35 for full registration is cheap for the additional layer of intellectual property protection.

It's not really another layer - just the key to the courtroom door so you can enforce the rights you already have by virtue of having made a tangible record of your work, and an alternative (easier) way to prove your damages.

Since most people don't know the above, infringers often think the registration means more than it does and you may be able to scare potential infringers off without having to resort to court - and that, alone, is probably worth the $35 for folks making a living off their creativity given how much easier it is these days to copy and distribute anything that can be put on a computer.

:hijack:

Following this thread is becoming difficult and way off OP.
In any event, this sounds like a classic case of Caveat Emptor.

simply put, if it doesnt have PADI on it, it's a waste of time.

Why would you take something so rediculosly sounding? onlinescubalessons.com vs padi.com

4 letters as opposed to 20. Unless of-course it's cheaper than the $120.00 PADI asks for. In which, you're just begging to be ripped off.

here ya go.. go harass the guy, e-mail bomb him and deffinitely report him to the proper authorities (and I dont mean the cops)

Registrant:
Aquastrophics
David Holt
2149 McCulloch Blvd.
Lake Havasu City, AZ 86403
US
Email: bwana@aquastrophics.com

Registrar Name....: REGISTER.COM, INC.
Registrar Whois...: whois.register.com
Registrar Homepage: Register Domain Names at Register.com - Business Web Hosting Services and Domain Name Registration Provider

Domain Name: onlinescubalessons.com

Created on..............: Thu, Feb 20, 2003
Expires on..............: Fri, Feb 20, 2009
Record last updated on..: Mon, Dec 24, 2007

Administrative Contact:
Aquastrophics
David Holt
2149 McCulloch Blvd.
Lake Havasu City, AZ 86403
US
Phone: 928-680-3483
Email: bwana@aquastrophics.com