Only 3% of Cayman's Stay-Over Visitors Come to Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I don't think that there's any hope that they won't build the pier for cruise ships.

Numbers provide snapshot of tourism industry | Cayman Compass

Numbers provide snapshot of tourism industry

By James Whittaker -

July 28, 2016

An American male, professional, aged between 36 and 49, earning between $100,000 and $150,000 a year and a previous visitor to the Cayman Islands. That’s the statistical profile of the most common stay-over visitor to the Cayman Islands.

During a little over six days on island, he is almost certain to go to the beach, try snorkeling and visit restaurants. He is most likely to visit Stingray City, Rum Point and Camana Bay, but is less inclined to take a trip to the National Gallery or the National Museum.

Overall, he will spend $179.41 for every day he is on island.

The Department of Tourism figures, gleaned from 10-minute exit surveys with 1,324 stay-over visitors between January and June of this year, paint a detailed picture of the backgrounds and spending habits of visitors to these islands.

The vast majority of visitors quizzed in the tablet surveys rate their experience as very good, usually favorable compared to other destinations they have visited in the Caribbean. More than half say they plan to return to the Cayman Islands within two years.

If there are any gripes, customer experience surveys show, they are most likely to be about value for money.

One in eight visitors goes scuba diving, and just over 3 percent list it as the main reason for their trip. Divers and those visiting relatives are likely to take the longest trips, the data shows.

A surprising 12 percent of respondents said they did not go to the beach during their visit.

The U.S. is consistently the main source market for visitors, accounting for more than 80 percent of arrivals in the first half of the year, according to data from the Immigration Department. Europe, at 6.9 percent, and Canada, at 6.7 percent, are next.

Of potential significance to advocates for new cruise facilities, the survey results show that almost 10 percent of stay-over visitors previously came to the Cayman Islands on a cruise ship.

Though separate data shows that cruise visitors spend less and stay for shorter periods of time, usually just a day, Tourism Minister Moses Kirkconnell has argued that cruise arrivals also serve as a kind of direct marketing for the island.

Separate data, also released by the Department of Tourism in its biannual statistics report, shows there are currently 500 properties licensed to operate in the Cayman Islands with a total of 8,058 beds available to tourists.

Though visitor arrivals were down slightly for the period, hotels were charging more per-room and government revenue was up.

Mr. Kirkconnell said he expects arrival numbers to increase as more beds become available through the planned openings of the Kimpton and Margaritaville hotels this year.

One in eight visitors goes scuba diving, and just over 3 percent list it as the main reason for their trip. Divers and those visiting relatives are likely to take the longest trips, the data shows.

This suggests scuba tourism does carry more weight than the 3% thing; if 1 in 8 visitors goes diving, that's a pretty high rate of 'reef resource utilization' or however you care to phrase it. And since dive boat trips cost more than lounging on the beach, I suspect such visitors crank out respectable amounts of money.

Doesn't mean the pier won't happen, of course.

Richard.

The die hard divers are on Brac and Little Cayman. Imho. And if 1 in 8 dive isnt that slightly over 12%?

The die hard divers are on Brac and Little Cayman. Imho. And if 1 in 8 dive isnt that slightly over 12%?

The survey was of visitors to the Cayman Islands which includes Brac and Little, although I am sure most of the survey respondents spent their time on Grand Cayman.

I would agree that most of the visitors going to CB and LC are there to dive, but the largest number of dive ops and dive boats are on GC.

The article says "just over 3 percent list it (diving) as the main reason for their trip."

I was just hoping that diving would represent a larger reason for visiting the Caymans, and that would make it a more important motive for protecting the reefs.

Does the $179/day spent include their hotel costs? If so, I'm wondering who is b**ching about value for money.

That $179. per day spent might be misrepresented.........if they mean $179. per day for every person have they takne into account most people's hotel stay is double occupancy .I agree with ChillyinCanada $179. doesn't seem right.

For my recent trip to GC, 179 would barely cover a 2 tank dive with nitrox, tip and lunch. It would not include food, gas, car rental, hotel...

I am sure that must be an average and refers to money they spend above their travel and lodging costs. The Caymans are not cheap by any standard but as has been mentioned before there are ways to mitigate the costs somewhat.

I've always felt that the Cayman Brac Beach Resort is somewhat of a bargain for a Cayman dive vacation. Below is a thread that compares and contrasts the "costs per dive" for a variety of locations. That means dividing your total basic vacation costs (travel, lodging, food, diving) by the number of dives you can do. The CBBR came out to $149 per dive and that also included valet dive services and 3 alcoholic drinks per day - so I thought it was comparable to other locations.

Total Cost Mid-range Budget Florida & Caribbean Trips

Last edited:
Is 3% low? What's the figure for, say, Cozumel? Bonaire?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom