Only Specific Hoses to First Stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The guy was trying to sell me some ScubaPro octos that were very high priced in my opinion. They were actually more than one of the regs I was looking at. He was also pushing some analog gauges that I can't remember the brand name. I think I might have been more inclined to believe him if this were older or used gear, but it was new in the box.

"What specifically were you looking at?" by Web Monkey

I was looking at Zeagle regs, specifically the Flathead and Envoy. Both received excellent ratings from Scuba Dive Magazine, this site and others.

I ended up buying a pair of Zeagle Envoy regs for my wife and I, and added some Cressi octos for alternate air. I also boght them from a different LDS who I think was a little more knowledgeable and a lot more honest with me.

Thanks to all for the information.

theatis:
Well, if the guy said "CERTAIN" 1st stages as the OP stated, isn't that statement true? Poseidon regs with their upstream 2nd stages come to mind, and Apeks regs before the current XTX line had a 1/2" inch LP port. So, mix and matching doesn't always work. I'm sure others with more experience can give further examples.

But of course with different thread openings you wouldn't be able to make a mistake even if you wanted to since it simply won't fit.

Plus the Mares 1/2" hoses with DFC are specific to Mares first stage.

talonraid:
The guy was trying to sell me some ScubaPro octos that were very high priced in my opinion. They were actually more than one of the regs I was looking at. He was also pushing some analog gauges that I can't remember the brand name. I think I might have been more inclined to believe him if this were older or used gear, but it was new in the box.

"What specifically were you looking at?" by Web Monkey

I was looking at Zeagle regs, specifically the Flathead and Envoy. Both received excellent ratings from Scuba Dive Magazine, this site and others.
Depends on which one he was trying to sell you. Any of the ScubaPro regs can be used as an Octo and some of their regs are definitely more expensive than some of the Zeagles.

Could have been misleading or just tactless, but if you bought it, you probably would have had a nice reg.

I don't know anything about the Zeagle line, but will say that whatever you get for a secondary should be a good performer, since whoever gets it is likely to be already stressed and sucking pretty hard. The last thing you want is an OOA dive who still feels like they can't breathe.

Terry

Back
Top Bottom