Ontario Wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yoopster,

Brandon's site is something that DAN or a federal agency should have been accumulating (and publishing) for years. To this day, I can't figure out why this type of information (and even non-death accidents) are not public knowledge and easily researched. It is a wealth of knowledge that is going to waste.

The cynical side of me says that it's the training agencies (padi, naui, etc.) that are behind this. Imagine this data getting out and it's effect on people who are looking into diving for the first time.

Wetman: I noticed the Waome on your list of wrecks to dive...I dove the Waome about 26 years ago, and after years of diving worldwide and scrounging around wrecks, she is still one of my favourites! Make sure you see her, and hope you have as much fun as I did.
ROVjockee

I truly hope i can before the year is out. We've got next weekend and the weekend after that scheduled for the Kingston area. So who knows. Really hope i do get the chance to get up there for sure. I've heard nothing but good things about it. Any other wrecks in that area worth making a whole weekend out of?

steve

The Arabia is a excellent wreck standing upright on the bottom. I have been on her bow 2 times with her deck at about 90'. I guess I have been lucky not having much current. If you can,
dive the bow, but just remember the the bow mooring line does not go down to the bow, but to a concrete slab on the bottom at 104'. Then you have to follow a line off the mooring line up to the bow rail for a great dive.

First, welcome aboard (sort of speak) Parsons, so you've been on the Arabia....

Originally posted by Parsons
The Arabia is a excellent wreck standing upright on the bottom. I have been on her bow 2 times with her deck at about 90'. I guess I have been lucky not having much current. If you can,
dive the bow, but just remember the the bow mooring line does not go down to the bow, but to a concrete slab on the bottom at 104'. Then you have to follow a line off the mooring line up to the bow rail for a great dive.

Thanks for the info. The more you get, I figure the safer the dive will be. Who did you charter with? When did you go?

I'd like to plan a trip to Tobe, although I'm not an official CAD, I'm pretty dang close.

Thanks for the pleasent welcome.
Are dive club went back in 1992 & 93. I do not remember who we dove with, but if you can, ask about the dive boat that you plan to charter. Some were old steel hull fishing boats that wre pretty rustic. Also right there in Little Tug Harbor there are 3 to 4 wrecks fom 10' to 45' deep which is also a great place for a night dive. Have a fun trip.

Hi,
I was just re-reading this thread.

For those that are still interested, I just got.........

The Great Lakes Diving Guide by Cris Kohl
first edition Oct. 2001
Published by SEAWOLF Communications

Great book. gives a little history of each wreck, GPS and Loran coordinates, condition, depth, skill level.

I bought it at a local shop, but with all that info you can probably find it on-line.

The Arabia is a dive for the experienced. I have been on it when vis is 10ft and a bad current and then again when vis has been 30ft and no current. Temp hoovers around 43 most of the summer.
The deck around the anchors is caving in but the rest of her hasn't degraded to much since I first dove her. She is a must see for those who have the training.
Best of luck
TTFN
Karl

Yeah, I agree with that. Great dive...for the experienced.

Wetman, the "Arabia" isn't going anywhere. Get some good experience before you try this one. Please. 13 dead is enough.

To all those giving advise to "Wetman" to wait for the Arabia!
Your caution is appreciated but not nessessary!
Steve won't blow his own horn, but I know, for fact:
He is well equiped mentally, physically, and equipment wise.
He has made many dives to 100+ feet depths , in near freezing and in low visibility waters.

The Arabia is a wreck that requires experience and training and a no-nonsense attitude.
Steve has all the above.
I have over 25 dives on the Arabia myself.
As one who knows and dives with Steve, I know he's ready
and I'd be more than happy to accompany him on his first dive on the Arabia.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom