Open letter to boat dive masters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

…We recently had a tank with a vindicator handwheel that always showed green (whether on or off). I am not saying this is a common issue with the vindicator handwheels, it may well have been an improper installation issue (it was promptly replaced, and the old one discarded, so we will never know). My point is that I don't think the vindicator is fail safe, and is no replacement for a proper flow check.

It is difficult to imagine failure without improper installation, probably leaving spacer washers where they shouldn’t be or installing one for the wrong valve manufacturer.

Nothing is failsafe including depending on DM with unknown experience and skills — some are great, some not so much, and all are newbies at one point. In the end, the diver is responsible. One thing for sure, a closed indicator on a single is likely to spark a conversation rather than the DM simply changing the valve which is understandably objectionable to many of us.

Reactions: Jax
This is a open non confrontational letter to dive masters that we will encounter on dive boats for non instructional boat ride to the site encounter

dear divemaster

When I am geared up waiting to leave the boat and you reach toward my gear and I say no thank you I have it, please don't do that, please don't touch my gear . I really mean it . Please don't take it upon your self to continue to adjust my gear turn my tank valve ect . It will not only irritate me but it will negatively affect your tip if you don't immediately retract your hand.

sincerely
the diver from this weekend that appeared to have forgotten to tip you at the end of the trip

I thought you meant to be non-confrontational ... :idk:

Why not let the DM do his or her job, then reach back and check your valve after they're done? Yours should always be the last hand on your valve before you enter the water ... but that doesn't negate the dive boat crew following their boat policies. I HAVE seen people forget to turn their air on before ... more than once ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Over the years, Frank and Melanie have had to hand me at least once, in the water,

weights

even fins

and I'm "experienced", sorta

So I don't mind the valve check.

Evidently there are instances of closed valves being turned on by DMs before splash. Are there verifiable instances of the opposite? How many? If the risk isn't there, then the diffidence sounds more like "anyone touches my stuff, I'll kill 'em"..

To which Sergeant Hulka has a reply...

Sorry, Herb-Alaska, but in this you are wrong. and Ana, I commend to you my blog "What Makes a Good Divemaster," or in the alternative, my article in scubadiverlife.com titled "Good Divemaster, Bad Divemaster." I'm sorry you have had some unpleasant experiences. And I commend you for buying your own boat. Your boat, your rules. I respect your choices and preferences. I hope you will respect my and all DM's duties and responsibilities, to make your diving WITH US safe and enjoyable, in that order.
DivemasterDennis

I get the feeling I don't need to read any of your articles to realize our definitions of a Good DM are very different maybe one day I'll read them anyways.

Your ID on the left has Colorado for location... that eliminates any possibility of me experiencing any of your safe and enjoyable dive in any order.

I don't expect your respect to any of my choices based on my post. You doubts about me respecting any DM's duties or responsibilities indicates to me you missed the point of my post...
DM's do what they think they have to do or what their bosses tells them to do. These actions are the result of many factors... if you believe it is the DM's DUTY to keep divers alive you are insulting divers and my opinion and just my opinion: you are part of the problem.

I try to learn as much of the charter rules, as I can before signing to use them, but once I give them my credit card numbers I'm pretty much resigned to follow their rules. From accepting rules to respecting them, agreeing with them or anything similar there's a gap... to me respect is earned, never given for free.

i don't think the OP tried to save few dollars by withholding the tip... he thought he was sending a message. I don't think he was effective but I can see the reason for his frustration... I can also see Wookie point of view, and agree that one diver's comfort is not worth his means to earn a living... but to not see that divers are regularly treated like they are not responsible for their own safety is just refusing to see reality.

Yes it is! It has been a long time since I watched Stripes! Thanks!

I assumed you were just being a little cryptic in your reference to it :D.....

I would prefer that no one touch my equipment. I have had a bad experience where a DM tried to talk me into getting into the water with a turned-off tank. If it's boat policy to verify, do it before I put my gear on. I cannot reach my tank valve when I am standing at the gate, with the gear hanging down on my back (I can reach it in the water, though). If someone messes with my valve at the gate, they are going to delay me into the water, until I verify that the valve isn't turned off and back on a quarter turn. Valves set like that will breathe fine on land, and shut off at depth.

I can't remember ever having anyone argue with me, though, if I asked them politely not to mess with my stuff. Of course, the charter boats in our area either don't check valves, or are so used to my circle of diving friends that they know they don't have to.

I can see both sides of the argument here. I appreciate the DM may have his job to do, but nobody, ever, touches my kit without my permission. I'm a qualified, experienced diver and I always check my kit and I know it is in order before I'm in the water. However, I understand if somebody with a legal duty of care towards me wants to ask me to demonstrate my air is on, I do not have a problem. In this instance, he can keep his hands to himself and I'll manipulate my valves and show him the contents gauge as I suck in on the primary and backup reg.

Out of interest, do all dive charters in the US have a DM on board? The opinion of many in the UK is the skipper is a taxi driver employed to take you where you want to go - I have never seen a DM on a UK charter. Once at the site, the divers do what they want. I agree with the sentiment but I think 'taxi driver' is a bit of an insult. A good skipper will look after my safety at all times while I am on his vessel and will offer advice about the sea conditions, tell us how he wants us to get off the boat and check us in and out. Most respect the skippers because they offer the advice you need but don't tell you how to set up your kit.

Finally, I do not trust Divemasters one little bit. The only people I trust are my mates from the club and myself. I am not having a dig at DMs - I know many very good ones who I have immense trust in but I have seen many 100 dive wonders who I would not trust with a snorkel. The people that get to touch my kit may do so because they have won my confidence, not because they have a piece of plastic off PADI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom