Open question to travel divers with monsterously large housings.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Same Thinktank Airport International 2.0 bag doctormike linked & a Mountainsmith Borealis AT backpack. I carry the backpack and the short blonde one rolls the Thinktank. Easy enough.

I carry on macbook pro, external hdd, camera bodies, housing, lenses, macro port, dome (same zen 100mm dome mentioned above too), as well as lenses for land use.

I check strobes, arms, clamps, focus lights, batteries, battery chargers. I used to carry on the strobes, but I figure if the arms & clamps are lost I can't use them anyway, so it helps lighten the load carried on.

Singapore Air has similar carry-on weight limit, but in 4 flights with them I have not been dinged yet. I know for sure both our carry on bags are at least double that, so I figure it's a matter of time...

Reactions: jbb
That Lowepro bag looks pretty good. The backpack I have (linked above) makes carrying my 70-200/2.8 a bit harder due to its size as it doesn't really fit anywhere in the padded area.

Pelicain cases are great, ive a number of them myself, but they are very heavy. That 1510 you linked is almost 14 pounds. When you have only 22 pounds allowable weight, that doesnt leave you much for your gear.

I know most airlines dont weigh carry on, but thats when it looks like a change of clothes and toothbrushes like normal people. Walk up with a pelly and I'll put money on it getting weighed.

Yes, I'm not getting the Pelican case. I'm just getting the Pelican *insert*, which should fit a normal rolling carry-on.

Between my complete dive gear and camera gear and the fact that I have on occasion had my carryon WEIGHED and know what happens when they do, I just pay the fee for an extra case (which btw is WAY cheaper than paying overweight)..
996167_548210215236889_860187137_n.jpg

So I see all kinds of ways for packing cameras in bags and boxes ext. I have only camera traveled 3 times with no issues. Are there downsides to just carrying on like I do?

Other than carryon having weight limitations and you risking to leave stuff behind or not board the plane?

Those weight limitations for carryon is due to the ammount of weight the overhead compartements can hold in the event of a crash or emergency landing btw. If its overloaded and the plane have to make a rough landing people could in worst case go from being perfectly safe to have their head cracked open cause the compartments fall down on them :/
(and of course some airlines love to make use of that fact to get some extra cash)

I guess I jinxed myself in this thread. I got busted for over-weighted carry on bags at LAX going to Singapore (this is the only time they were weighed). On the way home, I put my Nauticam DSLR housing in my checked bag (wrapped in bubble wrap and such). It made it home fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom