Open question to travel divers with monsterously large housings.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is also the route of using Fed Ex or equivalent, to ship to hotel or Dive operator, with signature on receipt, and pre-arrangement over where and how to store till you arrive....Return trip is of course, much simpler. I have done this with cameras...and with high end road bikes on European Trips.

Just an update on my preferred method of packing (see pic earlier in this thread) I will be removing the camera body and two lenses from the stormcase and pack them in a camera backpack with my new "light-weight" laptop/tablet hybrid as they will now get under both the 10kg weightlimit and the stricter 5kg limit used by some charters. All uw gear will still go in the suitcase an Ive also gotten a few new pieces to go in there..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Hello Tzetsin!

I know this thread is a little old, but I just thought I'd offer my 2 cents on what I use to travel around with.

I use an Akona Pro Camera Carry-On Roller Bag (ex here Akona Pro Camera Carry-On Roller Bag (AKB988) at LeisurePro ). I am able to fit an Ikelite housing for my 6D, a dome port, a flat port, 2 port extensions, 2 strobes, strobe arms, floats, 3 cables, 2 strobe chargers and my maintenance/silicone/spares kit. It pretty much can handle my entire kit AND it is also carry-on dimension sizes. It's incredibly durable and well padded AND can convert to a backpack if needed (I've used this feature and its quite comfortable). Now being caught to weigh it is another story.... My actual camera and lenses is in a camera backpack that I use as a personal item. I would rather make sure that all this equipment is with me as carry-on... I see how they throw around bags at airports and frankly the thought of my photo gear being thrown around like that makes my stomach turn.

Now as far as transporting from my hotel room to boat/shore goes, I use this beautifully designed bag: MEC Scully 30 Duffel - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available . I clean and setup my gear in my room and then lay down a towel in this bag, turn it into a backpack and carry it to the boat like this. It doubles as a rinse tank as well and is the perfect size. I usually just stuff it in my scuba gear bag when travelling.

Hope this is good enough info for anyone wishing to travel with their monstrosities :wink:

What I do is use a bigger beer cooler. It has several advantages: 1. it looks cheap, no one on an airport in a country where the housing would be more than a year's salary would try to steal it. 2 it's cheaper than a pro camera box 3. it's quite sturdy.

Then, I pack the housing with a lot of bubble wrap so that nothing moves in the cooler. My Canon 5D housing with the macro & dome port plus 2 strobes comes to 10 kgs with all accessories.

Enjoy, Mactan is great!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom