Open Water Class 3 And 4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh okay good to know about the drops, and yea the meds are actually for the nose and they really helped with the full ear feeling. The doc said that he didn't want to give me antibiotics as if I do catch an infection then the antibiotics would have a lessened effect.

Currently my ears feel great, now even when I swallow everything feels normal, I am sure they are not fully healed as the doctor said it can take upto 6 weeks, but given that I am pretty young I hope that they heal quickly.

I run into this problem when I dive a lot and just did recently on a trip to Florida. The feeling your ear is full and you cannot clear it. I saw a doctor and he said pretty much what you have been told, the middle ear gets filled and it is just time for it to clear. I have still dove with this condition, and it might be a bit tender but I still can clear, just go a bit slower. I was also recommended a nasal steroid spray to help with it, things like Sudafed or a sinus med help, which it sounds like you have.

What does the middle ear get full of?

According to my doctor it is just water that has gotten trapped, you may also get a bit of swelling if the ear is irritated.

You are correct but I don't think it is water that gets trapped in there from the outside, but rather the inside, the eardrum gets perforated and the body fills it with fluid. Kinda like a knee injury I have had before, where the knee doubled in size and filled with fluid lol I am no doc though, just my understanding of it. Either way it's broken for a bit.

What does the middle ear get full of?

Read all about it: Common Ear Injuries While Diving — DAN | Divers Alert Network — Medical Dive Article

Middle Ear Barotrauma. This is by far the most frequently reported injury among divers. People with barotitis media generally develop symptoms immediately following the dive, but delays of up to one day or longer have been reported. When the diver descends, the pressure can cause injury to the middle ear. This overpressure of the middle ear can cause serious fluid and blood to leak into the middle ear, partially or completely filling it.

Well there we have it! I just hope it doesn't happen again, a very uncomfortable feeling for sure!

I'll be taking my acents much slower from now on, pool or otherwise

Well there we have it! I just hope it doesn't happen again, a very uncomfortable feeling for sure!

I'll be taking my acents much slower from now on, pool or otherwise

Also regular and early equalising will help (by early, I mean before you get any pain).

Back
Top Bottom