'Open Water' only sidemount BCDs: Your opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Times change and cave diving no longer own sidemount. Time to stop claiming intellectual property rights. And those just new to the configuration even more so.

You are right. Cave diving can be credited with a lot of innovation that OW dive industry has taken advantage of. What is the pity is the OW industry takes a snap shot of the most current generation,and commericializes that,with no real improvement or innovation. What people are spoon fed as "the" sidemount rig is great,but it amazes me to read the problems people discuss ad nauseum,that have been solved a long time ago,but the commerical market doesn't pick up on it. Actually what is funny is that if the commercial market really analyzed the evolution of sidemounting there is some better stuff out there in the toddler phase of sidemounting. Unfortunately nobody will market this because it will scare off the consumer because it looks different than what they see now. Kind of like DIR. I am not anti-DIR,but it tends to stifle innovation,because wholesale changes that lead to innovation are not allowed in the puritanical sense.

On the one hand, the cynic in me thinks it's just a way for manufacturers to further cash with a new product which has a few differences which only change the inflate position (between the DR models).

On another it think it helps to distance sidemount from the cave community, showing that sidemount isn't just a tool for a job needed for tight restrictions, but is actually a fun way to dive in the recreational world too, especially for those with back/joint issues (like me) who end up in pain after carrying around even a single cylinder.

My pull dump works fine on my shoulder. At first it was a bit fast but I've gotten used to it. I never dump from the LPI at the bottom of the wing, I suppose I could but it would be a bit of work. In other words all the modifications proposed by these manufacturers are hooey. A "SM" BC works fine in OW.

I may be misunderstanding your reply, but do you realize that both orignal SMS50 and Nomad LT do NOT have valves toward the top of the wing? These alternate models (SMS50 Sport and Nomad LT Blue Water) provide that option.

So I have to wonder if the issue some of you have with these two rigs is just with the relocation of the LPI, or would you also have a problem if they just added a dump valve in that spot instead?

My pull dump works fine on my shoulder. At first it was a bit fast but I've gotten used to it. I never dump from the LPI at the bottom of the wing, I suppose I could but it would be a bit of work. In other words all the modifications proposed by these manufacturers are hooey. A "SM" BC works fine in OW.

I also have no problem with my Armadillo and Nomad in open water because the dump is on the shoulder. However, the LT and the SMS50 have the LPI on the bottom on one side and the dump on the bottom on the other side. There is no LPI or dump anywhere near the top of the wing. So the only way to dump from the original LT and SMS50 is to be horizontal with fins slightly higher than head to get the dump at the highest point.

Foe people who cannot be tied to one style (SM or BM) because of what might be available at the destination, there is one very good reason to use over the shoulder LPI routing, and that is that one set of gear can be used for both SM (single) and BM, and SM doubles (with the addition of a deco reg for the right tank) as long as the an Air2 type reg is used on the inflator.

This simplifes the hassling with what to do about the octo when going from single SM to double SM to backmount, because the one reg set on the left side is always the same, and the SM left tank reg, which is just a deco setup, can be used on a slung tank for single BM.

It also changes adding tanks into just adding another deco type tank, which can be put on either side.

Once I worked out the concept, I became able to basically dive five tanks or three tanks, or one tank, or two tanks, or four tanks, and/or just leave a bunch in the water, and just transport the single left tank with a alternate in the Inflator, with tanks left in the water.

I cannot dive a single SM tank without an octo of some kind, because I am basically always at work, so standards, and liability means I cannot dive without an alternate.

Of Course, some of the rationale above goes out the window with SM specific setups like the LT and SMS50 which cannot be used for BM. Some of it, however, stays the same.

Since I have not spent much time with the alternate inflator reg mounted from the bottom, I have no idea how that might work out long term. But I want the consistent placement of the alternate inflator reg.

, especially for those with back/joint issues (like me) who end up in pain after carrying around even a single cylinder.

I am glad you have gotten relief from pain with this type of configuration,and it appears to work related to your type of diving. Generally speaking,and professional observation; sidemounting really does very little reduce back stress,but in fact probably increases it. With back mounted cylinders people sustain an erect to semi-erect position,and are using their abdominals as stabilizers,this moves the stress down the longitudinal axis. I observe people carrying sidemount tanks and they are constantly having to use poor body mechanics to place the cylinders prior and after the dive,and this positioning with tank weight is a huge back stressor. Sidemount reminds me of Nitrox shortly after the 1996 DEMA. When the dive industry grasped it (really as the next money maker),suddenly nitrox could do everything...and make you feel better (LOL). The analogies are so close between the marketing response between nitrox and sidemount,but as good consumers it is important to see it is a tool,that has quite a few limitations.

I cannot dive a single SM tank without an octo of some kind, because I am basically always at work, so standards, and liability means I cannot dive without an alternate.

Single-tank sidemount should incorporate an octo. Both regs (primary and AAS) route from the single sidemount tank. Most bungee the AAS on the cylinder for swift deployment. Some use double long-hose (one hog'd, one bungeed).

It's a 10 second job to add the AAS to the 1st stage when swapping two-tank to one.

For people who cannot be tied to one style (SM or BM) because of what might be available at the destination, there is one very good reason to use over the shoulder LPI routing, and that is that one set of gear can be used for both SM (single) and BM, and SM doubles (with the addition of a deco reg for the right tank) as long as the an Air2 type reg is used on the inflator.

With this set up - can you breathe / share gas through the Air2 alternate source while dumping through the LPI?

It's a 10 second job to add the AAS to the 1st stage when swapping two-tank to one.

It's no ten second job to swap a second stage onto a first stage, for the same reason it's no ten seond job to attach any second stage to any first stage. Throwing a second stage onto a first stage in not setting gear up for use; it's fitting random pieces together. Why do that when there is absolutely no need to?

On top of that

1. Gear gets routinely damaged doing swaps in salty environments.
2. Tools get routinely ruined being used in salty environments.

On top of that,

While some people like to play with gear, more people would rather just dive.

I can dive most places without any tank at all. The tanks just a tool, not the goal. When we force people to adapt behavior to fit gear, then we are mixing up the ends and the means.

I am glad you have gotten relief from pain with this type of configuration,and it appears to work related to your type of diving. Generally speaking,and professional observation; sidemounting really does very little reduce back stress,but in fact probably increases it. With back mounted cylinders people sustain an erect to semi-erect position,and are using their abdominals as stabilizers,this moves the stress down the longitudinal axis. I observe people carrying sidemount tanks and they are constantly having to use poor body mechanics to place the cylinders prior and after the dive,and this positioning with tank weight is a huge back stressor. Sidemount reminds me of Nitrox shortly after the 1996 DEMA. When the dive industry grasped it (really as the next money maker),suddenly nitrox could do everything...and make you feel better (LOL). The analogies are so close between the marketing response between nitrox and sidemount,but as good consumers it is important to see it is a tool,that has quite a few limitations.

I always found myself to be hunched over when using a BM cylinder, more so when i had finished a dive, especially in winter. The ability to Don/Doff in the water makes climbing out easier then i just move my tanks at my leisure. I don't find my back hurts when carrying a cylinder, as its only for a very brief amount of time from the car to the water.

Back
Top Bottom