Opening a dive site/shop...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jamiei

Reaction score
Just to see what input people have I'll propose this scenario. I, living in north Georgia lack a really good place to go diving that's not terribly far away. Suppose I have access to a potentially great dive spot in the form of a quarry located near Lake Oconee and I-20 for those who are familiar. What would be involved in such an undertaking? Basically for starters... just a bare-bones, break-even operation. I realize the costs (most anyway) of setting up such a location. My questions are more of what people think the response would be to such a place (i know of no such dive locations in georgia) and what other costs would be involved. Also, as far as having a dive shop on site... what would be the procedures in setting up a shop? This is all hypothetical. At least for the time being. It sure would be nice to be able to dive several times a week though and worth the effort.

Your post is best answered by someone who's been there and done that. I will say this about my own personal observation ... Mike is the rare shop owner who actually dives. Out of the dozens of shops I hang around in my area not a single owner dives regularly. In the rare case where the owner has help they may dive for teaching purposes - but most actually hold out for the infrequent trip to a fantastic destination - which is pretty much the same thing as being landlocked waiting for vacation opportunities.

My point is opening AND successfully operating a shop has an adverse effect on your opportunities to get wet for pleasure. In my observation anyway.

The best advice I could give is...
Don't think of it as opening a dive shop. Just a guess but I'd bet you're passionate about the sport. This passion could cloud your judgement. Treat it as a business and don't become emotionally attached to the idea. You'll know if it's a good idea after you do the math.

I would think that marketing would be a biggee.

:D

Buy it...incorporate and put it in the name of the corporation..contact dive shops and enter into agreements for them to use it for training. Be open a few days a week. Write off everything. Get good insurance. Have a good lawyer to help you set up.

I know the guy who owns Gilboa pretty well. He is working long hours and investing big big money. He is also doing a real big business.

He is also opening a shop on the property. This is a touch situation because a huge percentage of his divers are students brought there by there instructor. Having some things available is a convenience but if it was a full service shop (competition) why would anyone bring their students there.

There is a saying that says to make a small fortune in the dive business you must start with a large one. In reality it's is worse than that.

From what I have seen if you have a GOOD dive site and run it well you can keep the place full. Under those conditions it is even possible to make money selling air which is a big loss for a small shop away from water. Gilboa just ordered a 140ish cu ft/min compressor.

DiverBuoy is right if you like diving be careful about going into it for a business. Last year I was ready to give it up because I was never diving except to teach. Now I take at least one weekend a month to cave dive no matter how many students I have.

:rolleyes:

Mike I don't know how anybody makes a living in the dive business. Especially inland from oceans and in the north.
Maybe a full service [water, equiptment, training, and repair] will generate enough cash for a few people, but not very many.
If I had a quarry big enough to dive I'd make it available for students [as I said earlier] stock it with fish and let people fish the remainder of the time and stick a couple of condos up. Don't fill it with junk, landscape the hell out of it and hope to sell out in a few years.

Mike Williams (the owner of Gilboa is making a living). The same is true fo Tina Haigh (the owver of Haigh Quarry) Both places sometimes have hundreds of divers on a Sat. or Sun. Both sell gas and food. Gilboa has camping and bunk houses. Haigh charges $20.00 per day to dive. Gilboa is $10 to dive $6 to camp and $10 for the bunk house. These places have some volume to work with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom