http://www.diveheart.org/

Operation Bottom Time - From Key Largo - Updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HowardE

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Yesterday's first Open Water training dives were immensely successful!

We went out in the afternoon on the Republic Diver, and went to Conch Reef where depths were about 25 feet max.

Personally I was diving with John Thomspson (rockwaterx) one of the organizers of SUDS and OBT who was the instructor on the dive, and we had 2 students along... A Lance Corporal in the USMC Tim... and Army Sargent Luke. Luke is a double amputee who is missing his right arm, and his right leg. Tim is missing one of his legs.

I must just say from the start, that these guys did incredibly well in the water, for ANY 1st Open Water Dive students. They successfully completed most of the skills with ease, with few minor exceptions!

I was very impressed with the determination of the soldiers as OW students with form and skill, and even more impressed with their desire to - not just complete the skills required, but to complete them well. I watched Luke perform the LPI hose removal and replacement more than once, since he wasn't personally satisfied with how HE performed, even though the skill was performed!

I'd love to write more, but we're getting ready for OW Dives 3 & 4 This morning... then the guys will be certified divers!!

Here's Luke on his SECOND OW Dive!
Luke.jpg

Here's John Thompson and Tim performing the Air Share portion of the training
jt-tim-cesa.jpg

I'll post more pics and stories later, but it's time to go diving now!

Last edited:
SWEET!!!!!

I look forward to reading some more!!!

Wonderful stuff Howard. This is the kind of thing that lets these soldiers know that most, I wish all of us, won't forget them after they have done their duty and come home. Thanks to all of you for giving your time and effort to put this tremendous program together.

Those are some brave men you're working with.

Nice job with the new lens by the way...:D

Just as a side note . . .

I think Luke has better trim than I do . . .

That is awesome stuff right there HowardE! IMHO, whether a person agrees or disagrees with how troops are deployed or not is most often a matter of agreeing or disagreeing with the politics that govern those decisions. Meanwhile back at the ranch, it's these soldiers who put their lives directly in harm's way to protect their country regardless of the politics that govern their deployment decisions. No soldier should ever have to return home and feel forgotten, although that happens far too often IRL. What you boys and girls are doing in this program is truly commendable in my opinion, and were I in your area I'd be in the water with you in support. :coffee:

I hope the guys get on SB so we can hear from them how much fun it was :)

Yes, I agree. I think it would be great to have some of them give us some personal feedback on their experiences.

Back
Top Bottom