Opinion on Mares V32 and Proton Ice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,
I recently got a used first stage (V32) and two used second stages (both Proton Ice) plus an inflator jacket (Oceanic FX with lead pockets) for 210€. Did I get a good deal or was I ripped of, are these reliable and good or trash? Where should I do the revision? One technician meant I needed to upgrade to the MR-series with the Mares Trimat 2K18 Upgrade Kit before revision, does someone know why?
Also, do you have suggestions on finding good and cheap revision services for these regulators?
Thanks in advance.

The V32 designation indicates that the reg originally used the SCS (Spherical Core Seal) valve assembly. In this system, the poppet's end is hemispherically shaped and mates to a concave polymer seat. Your technician is correct in that it needs to be replaced with the latest MR series parts. Other than that, the 32 design offers great hose routing for single tank diving. The Proton Ice second stages are all metal, and perform well in cold water. The all metal construction is also a plus in reducing "cotton mouth". The front cover is also durable, unlike the polymer versions. The polymer version's front cover/purge button often becomes brittle with the passage of time, and literally crumbles. I am not familiar with the Oceanic BCD.

good luck finding the service kits. I was able to find them on ebay from a gentlemen in the Bahamas who is closing down his shop. I was even able to get the seat and poppet from him.

good luck finding the service kits. I was able to find them on ebay from a gentlemen in the Bahamas who is closing down his shop. I was even able to get the seat and poppet from him.

I recently ordered Proton service kits from a dive shop that provides me with parts from various manufacturers. They were able to obtain them from Mares. The V/MR32 series uses the same service kit as the MR22, so servicing the first stage isn't an issue at this time.

I personally own a Mares V42/Proton Metal rig, which is what I often use for cold water diving. I elected not to convert it over to the MR series internals, as the SCS system maintained stable intermediate pressure even after more than 150 dives. I did end up doing a full service on the entire system last winter, but all of the function tests were still within the factory specifications. While the Proton Metal may not offer the work-of-breathing results of Mares's current top offerings, it does boast rugged simplicity that is very cold water tolerant. Mine have been used on many ice dives over the past 15 years.

The majority of my dives with modern gear are made with Atomic Aquatic regs, but I have been a long term fan of the Mares regs with metal second stages.

Greg

One technician meant I needed to upgrade to the MR-series with the Mares Trimat 2K18 Upgrade Kit before revision, does someone know why?
The Mares Trimat 2K18 Upgrade Kit (Mares part 46201386) includes a new spring, high pressure seat and the poppet that seals against the seat (as shown below, except the current poppet is slightly different).

There are two advantages to doing this. First, once the upgrade kit is installed, your reg will use the same service kits as the current 22X/52X/15X so you don't have to worry about parts availability anywhere you happen to be diving. But the more obvious advantage for those that don't self-service is that once installed and serviced, the factory service interval has been extended to 2yrs/200 dives (from 1yr/100 dives).

9959kit-i-stadio-mr12-adattamento-46200705_2.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom