Opinion on used/new BCD's for first time divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an older Ranger - bought it new in late 2004-early 2005. This one looks almost identical except the inflator is different. It was not a newly released model when I bought it either. My buddy has one a couple years older that has my inflator also. There are also regional differences in some of the Zeagle line, for example the Brigade sold by Scubatoys. So that may explain the inflator difference. Or it was changed at some time - it's only two cable ties and disconnecting/reconnecting the pull dump cable.

Mine still works great and I've done virtually no maintenance except routine stuff.

The regs shown with the Ranger in your photos are older than it is by at least a few years - probably more.

I changed the inflator to a BX (hose flush) about 5 years ago. They're $55. Zeagle Bx Power Inflator scuba diving gear at Zeagle Express

If you're mostly going to be traveling/diving warm water the Ranger is probably more than you need. Although you do see them in SoFl often since Zeagle is located there. I fly with mine but always in my big checked duffle bag. I once stuffed a Stiletto into a legal-sized carry-on but there was no room for much else. Since I have XL fins, no reason to either.

There's a really good deal on the Scubapro Litehawk also - $239 at Leisurepro. According to the ad that includes the weight system - what they're calling "accessory" pockets really aren't. But you could add one to the front strap. I'm thinking of getting one for travel also. It's not the lightest travel BC around at 7lbs. but does pack small. Surprisingly I believe all sizes have 54#'s of lift. Scubapro Litehawk BC, Black at LeisurePro

You can add Zeagle Pockets to either the Wicked Lite or the Express Tech. Any of these - other mfr's sell similar items. Dive Gear Express sells some.

Clip Close Pocket
Quick Pocket
Tech Utility Pocket

If you want to stay with Zeagle, look for a Lazer. It has the cummerbund with the 2" strap over it like the Stiletto so your wife can tighten it as desired.
The LaZer is ideal for the woman who wants a lightweight but rugged system, for both travel and local diving that doesn't compromise on features. Based on our Stiletto – it’s cut, shaped and sized for the female form. It features a vest scooped in the lower rear to accommodate shorter torsos and wider hips.
- See more at: LaZer

I do like the Express Tech... I see that it is one size though. I am a smaller guy, 71" and 145lbs. Is that going to be an issue? my wife is even smaller, how well do you think it would work for her?

Also looking at the stiletto now as well... i will look at the lazer for my wife too. Still doing alot of shopping and reading reviews. it will probably be months before I make a decision... so please bear with me... i will have alot of questions.

what is your opinion of the Octo-Z? I am not sure how i feel about having an integrated system like that. may work well for the type of diving we are doing though.

I looked at the lighthawk in my LDS, didnt care for it just bc it doesnt look as durable as the zeagle ones i have been looking at. I am interested in wreck and cave diving in the near future so the zeagles seem to stand out to me for durability. Also really like the hose flush ability.

last thing I will throw out for the night... Oceanic Islander 2. Looks decent and has a really good price on LP right now.

The express tech will fit all sizes because similar to a BPW wing it is infinitely adjustable.

The Stilleto is a nice BC as well kind of like a lighter version of a ranger.

All 4 BC's I mentioned use the same 1000 Denier fabric. The difference with the Stiletto/LaZer is they're not as concerned about the weight so there's more layers. I've never personally seen a Lighthawk to compare it to an Express Tech but the ET is more configurable - add-on pockets, weight systems etc. as part of the Zeagle accessories line.

I think you'll find the majority of cave/wreck divers are in BP/W's if you go that way in the future. Often fairly custom configurations so it's likely with a Rec. BP/W the only thing you'll re-use is the plate.

I don't have a clear opinion of the OctoZ - never even saw one in person. From the standpoint of any octo-inflator vs. a standard octo both seem to work.

You will donate your primary in an emergency so you may want to pay attention to hose routing - or get a slightly longer hose (maybe a swivel?) to make it easier for the other diver.

The other issue with an octo-inflator is that they're serviced as regulators - not BC's. My regs go in for service every 2 years (Atomic's recommended interval) my BC maybe every 5. So your dealer has to service both Zeagle and the reg brand you buy - unless they're Zeagle also. Most octo-inflators sold by reg. mfr's are universal - I know the Atomic SS1 fits Zeagle gear since my buddy has both.

I dive a with conventional octo on a 36" hose. My normal buddy (b-i-l) and I are both very comfortable so neither configuration is likely to cause us any undue stress.

[user]drrich2[/user] dives an Oceanic BCD and travels extensively to dive - so you might PM him. The only thing I picked up on after a quick review of the LP ad is: Air Cell: 420-Denier Nylon

don't understand everyone's enthusiasm with the BC flush adapters. I just use the oral inflator opening to fill mine with a hose, works fine, though I suspect most people probably forgot that that is what that opening is actually for.....

Either way, instead of the $55 for the weird inflator that is a pain in the butt to deal with,
Bc Flush Adapter w/ Hose
$15 gets you a much better system that goes into your inflator nipple and then you can use it on all of the BC's you have, oh and you saved $40 but not having some wonky proprietary inflator mechanism.

Since the OP is mostly talking about getting a Zeagle, every new BC they sell comes with the BX inflator as standard equipment now. So someone must think it's a good idea...Why is it wonky? It works and is easy to use - just unscrew the inflator by hand to expose the hose fitting.

I also don't have to carry the adapter everywhere I go. fwiw, I used to do it your way also. It was inefficient, I often got wet and there was no way to apply water under pressure to the inside of the bladder as effectively. I just unscrew one/both dump valves and turn the water on high now.

Comment was mainly on spending the $55 to change to that inflator, if it comes with it so be it, but spending almost 4x as much for something that is only usable on one BC isn't worth it. I'd rather carry the adapter and be able to put it on the hose and have everyone I'm diving with be able to use it though.

no need for it to be under pressure, just slosh it around, cleans just as well, and I haven't had any issue with getting wet from the hose. To clean via pressure you orally inflate bc and let some of the water come out each of the inflator mechanisms then drain the rest via dump valve.

Decent choices. I wouldn't necessarily recommend the Zena - no pockets, difficult to clip lights, etc to it - I base this on having helped 5-6 of our shop customers AND STAFF switch from a Zena, that they had paid a lot of money for (to a BP/W, as it turns out). . . .

Shhh. My wife wants to sell her Zena now that we switched to BP/W.

I can totally understand the initial attraction to the Zena, though--my wife felt that it fit her female shape like a glove. But it does have a unique harness system, with that zippered vest piece up front, etc. It's an odd duck. In the end, the simple and standardized design of the BP/W won us over.

I don't like the Ranger for single tank diving. The wing is too big and too wide. It tacos, and makes venting difficult.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom