Opinions needed: New diver in a pool without a buddy at the bottom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ice9

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm a new diver, and I want to get some pool time. My friend has a pool in his backyard, and its depths range from 3 ft to 12 ft. The pool isn't huge, but its big enough for me to go down to the deep end and practice buoyancy and experiment with weights.

The problem is, I don't have a dependable dive buddy. There would be other swimmers in the pool (just not at the bottom) that I can have keep an eye on me. If something goes wrong and nobody sees it, I can always swim to the shallow end, right?

I'm wondering if you guys would consider that a safe enough environment to practice in, given that I wouldn't have a buddy at the bottom.

--Ice9

As you're a new diver, I'd say not....and not even for an experienced diver. (Yes, there is always the do as I say, not as I do - train of thought) If something goes wrong, and nobody sees it, you could be in real trouble. It only takes a few inches of water, and a few minutes before you're dead..

As a new diver, do you keep in touch with the guys that certified you?
After I did the pool classes, I stayed around to help in the next pool class - and had the opportunity to learn even more as I didn't have the pressure to pass. Once I did get certified, I still help out with my LDS's classes. I'm not a DM, but do have rescue and AOW training now, but most useful of all, I'm another pair of hands, eyes and ears to help out with things.

I have spent several occasions adjusting my techniques in the bottom of my pool, with no buddy, but as a beginner I would suggest you invite a person from your LDS or a student you got your certs with, at least for the first few times, it is a good way to get comfortable and also find a potential new buddy for future dives...good luck, see ya` under

Some diving clubs have access to practice sessions at pools. You might want to look for one. You could probably arrange to rent a tank to have some time with the other classes on-going in your area. If not, just go do some more diving at easy dive sites where there might be a divemaster led group.

If you are in a swimming pool with another swimmer who is capable of free diving to the bottom (as I would think most people would be, given the depths you are talking about), and one of the swimmers is willing to watch you while you are practicing, I don't see a problem with it. I've done work in our pool with my husband sitting on the concrete next to it. I mean, short of getting bad air and passing out at the bottom of the pool, what's going to happen in 12 feet of clear water that you can't deal with or somebody can't assist you with? Sometimes I think we get too paranoid.

Mind you, this doesn't apply to rebreathers, apparently . . .

The problem with swimmers, unless they are also divers, is that they may not RECOGNIZE a diver in distress. Especially one working on skills.

Want to work on your buoyancy? Do it in 3-4ft of water. Somewhere you an stand up if things go south. This isn't foolproof, but it's better than being deep. And yea, I worked alone in the pool a LOT. Even in 6ft. I wouldn't do 12ft alone though.

I've babysat rebreather divers on pool checkouts. Just don't want them to go hypoxic on you.

OK -- What's going to happen? Air stops? Kick to the surface. Get a mouthful of water and choke? Kick to the surface. Flood mask or lose mask and can't fix it? Take a deep breath and kick -- you'll go to the surface. Lose regulator and can't find it? Go to the surface. I mean, not that going to the surface is the right habit to build . . . but realistically, what's going to drown you in 12 feet of water except bad air?

Kids with foam noodles? They nearly drown me at a soccer party once...

TSandM:
OK -- What's going to happen? Air stops? Kick to the surface. Get a mouthful of water and choke? Kick to the surface. Flood mask or lose mask and can't fix it? Take a deep breath and kick -- you'll go to the surface. Lose regulator and can't find it? Go to the surface. I mean, not that going to the surface is the right habit to build . . . but realistically, what's going to drown you in 12 feet of water except bad air?

• Overweighted, lost buoyancy can't swim up
  • Some type of seizure or other medical event
  • Do a bad "giant stride entry" whack your head on the edge of the pool and pass out
I'm sure there are others.

It's probably not a big risk, but falls into the same category of "if you have to ask the question . . ."

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom