Opinions on DIVEVOLK for Smartphone Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver.Jason

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am just curious about DIVEVOLK Seatouch 4. I have an iPhone 13 Max and I am going to Roatan and Cozumel for a day each on a cruise. I stumbled upon this housing on a youtube channel that spoke very positively of it. For me, I am not diving enough to invest in a dedicated setup for photos and videos. Ideally using something that I will have with me makes the most sense. The price seems to be a small investment. I am looking to simply document my dives. Not really specializing in anything quite yet. If anyone has experience with this and can speak to the investment would be great. I am also looking into what accessories or kits I should look at.

Thanks

I have the DiveVolk housing and have been very happy with it. It’s an easy way to bring photo and video capability on a dive, plus you have your phone with you for communications if needed. I recommend the assorted filters they sell if you will be diving shallower than 40’ or so. Beyond that you will probably need a flashlight for illuminating photos.

I’m also a developer and have used mine for testing of underwater iOS applications.

I've been using first the Seatouch 3 for my Phone XR and the last almost 2 years Seatouch 4 MAX with my iPhone 13 Pro MAX. It's wonderful to travel with and dive with.

Best lens (actually individual camera modules) to use the main 1.0X lens. The .5X works good too and with either the #1 rule of UW photography, get close! When you think your close enough move another foot closer which will ensure best detail.

The Expansion clamp and Red filter work well from 10' down to about 50'. For night diving or close ups you could also use anything from a 1000 lumen LED flashlight to more powerful video lights but you'll have to mount it somehow. That could add weight so to each their own. I mounted a small 1000 lumen video light to the COLD SHOE mount on the Expansion clamp versus using a tray.

Very simple to set up and this is the only smartphone housing allowing full use of the touchscreen underwater! Way cool......

David Haas

IMG_4173.jpegIMG_8497.jpegIMG_1028.jpegIMG_0432 2.jpegIMG_3734.jpeg

A few more........

I also recommend an iPhone App called SeaReal which is great. It has a one touch color slider that restores color to blue images. This negates having to use the filter in bright tropical daylight shooting.

Enjoy!

David Haas

IMG_0318 2.jpegIMG_0582.jpegIMG_3537.jpegIMG_4092.jpegIMG_8518.jpeg

I’ve used a DV housing with a iPhone for about 18 months as an adjunct to a traditional rig with strobes. I tend to use it when there is enough current that I don’t feel like dealing with the big setup, or when I think there will be good video opportunities. Ive probably used it on three dozen dives, down to ~110’ and in rougher seas and heavy (for me, anyway) current. Zero problems so far. I either use it with a constant light, or occasionally by itself. i Have the little wide-angle piece, but don’t find it useful. The expansion clamp use useful for attaching a 1” ball and constant light, as well as a red filter; I keep a filter attached to it but rarely use it because I like lighting. I have never had a hint of a leak, and very much like being able to use the whole touchscreen. I tried a Bluetooth housing and did not bond with it.

I've been using first the Seatouch 3 for my Phone XR and the last almost 2 years Seatouch 4 MAX with my iPhone 13 Pro MAX. It's wonderful to travel with and dive with.

Best lens (actually individual camera modules) to use the main 1.0X lens. The .5X works good too and with either the #1 rule of UW photography, get close! When you think your close enough move another foot closer which will ensure best detail.

The Expansion clamp and Red filter work well from 10' down to about 50'. For night diving or close ups you could also use anything from a 1000 lumen LED flashlight to more powerful video lights but you'll have to mount it somehow. That could add weight so to each their own. I mounted a small 1000 lumen video light to the COLD SHOE mount on the Expansion clamp versus using a tray.

Very simple to set up and this is the only smartphone housing allowing full use of the touchscreen underwater! Way cool......

David Haas

View attachment 787028View attachment 787029View attachment 787030View attachment 787031View attachment 787032
How heavy is the whole thing underwater with wide lenses and video lights? Do you need a float at all?

I love mine, never had any issues with it. Gotten some very good, crisp clear video footage. And the latest iPhones have the macro lens which is awesome for close up shots. Super high detail. Easy to use. I do bring a backup phone just in case it floods, but I seriously doubt that would happen. It's a very solidly designed product with very few areas that could fail.

How heavy is the whole thing underwater with wide lenses and video lights? Do you need a float at all?

It's definitely negatively buoyant (maybe like 1lb) but not "heavy". You don't need a float in my opinion. Keep it tethered to your wrist. If you drop it, it will sink, just like a flashlight.

edit- just saw you said with wide lenses and video lights. I don't know how heavy those get as I only use it with a handheld video light

I love mine, never had any issues with it. Gotten some very good, crisp clear video footage. And the latest iPhones have the macro lens which is awesome for close up shots. Super high detail. Easy to use. I do bring a backup phone just in case it floods, but I seriously doubt that would happen. It's a very solidly designed product with very few areas that could fail.

It's definitely negatively buoyant (maybe like 1lb) but not "heavy". You don't need a float in my opinion. Keep it tethered to your wrist. If you drop it, it will sink, just like a flashlight.

edit- just saw you said with wide lenses and video lights. I don't know how heavy those get as I only use it with a handheld video light
Thank you. I will use it with a tray, wide lenses and one video light. It will be attached to my BCD.

This was taken on a DiveVolk (3 I think). Deffo an iPhone in a DiveVolk housing at 65m/215ft on the Empire Heritage in Malin, north west Ireland.
Glenn, scooter, tank.jpg

Back
Top Bottom