Opinions On My Selected Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everything looks good in the package. You're looking at a good solid setup. I've heard many good things about the Ranger.

One thing you might want to think about is getting a wrist computer and a simple SPG. I really like my Dive Rite Nitek Duo. If you stick with the Aeris unless you really trust technology, I would recommend getting a backup SPG.

Ditto the comments you already got. If you've researched that gear and it fits your needs, it's fine except for the octo. I was looking for a new octo awhile back and that one, and most of similar style, landed on my don't buy list.

I buy some things local and some mail order including from LP. For a new diver I don't think buying your first reg and BC mail order is the greatest idea unless you really have to. Since you're in Florida it seems like you should have more options. If you really want to do the mail order, I agree one of the places that offers manu. warrenties and very good service would be a much better choice for you than someplace like LP.

I think it's possible to completely research regs online and make a reasonable choice. I don't think that's so easy with BCs. You might get lucky, but fit and other things you can't tell until you have it on are just too important. You've selected the same BC for both of you, but if you haven't tried it even dry it's quite possible it will be great for one of you and the other will turn out to hate it. If you can't dive a variety of things (which I know is easier said than done even though everyone suggests it) - at least dive or try in a pool something similar to what you are considering buying. For example, the Ranger is back inflate with a U shaped bladder, if you can't try that maybe you can try something similar. I say this because I was thinking of buying a back inflate with a U shaped bladder until I tried one and found I absolutely hated the U shaped bladder for me. Not that you will feel the same, lots of people love that BC, but you just don't know until you try.

Phrased badly, he will match online prices.

The difference in this case is that new divers, needing BC's, being able to walk into a shop & try them on for proper fit may be desirable. Especially if the shop is reasonably close.

mongoose:
Another poster mentioned this, I think, but I'll re-iterate... those regs will come separately, and you will need to set them up on your 1st stage yourself. You've been certified how long? Do you relly want to be doing that? I will tell you that I have been certified about a year, and I would not dream of working on my gear. Call Larry at scubatoys. They will completely take care of you.

Regards,
--'Goose

The concept of threaded fittings isn't too hard to master. Have you ever changed a tire on your car? Those are pretty important too. Just don't crank on it too hard, hand tight then a little more with a wrench.

wolves64t:
The concept of threaded fittings isn't too hard to master. Have you ever changed a tire on your car? Those are pretty important too. Just don't crank on it too hard, hand tight then a little more with a wrench.

I agree with Wolves. Having never worked on my gear because its in the back of a UPS truck right now, I'm eager to get familiar with it. I'm not going to tear my second stage apart by any means, but understanding how it all works is crucial to making sure that everything is operating properly. By the way I've had a great experience with scubatoys so far. Good prices, great service, and they'll service your regs for 39.95 plus shipping.

Scubatoy's carries oxycheq wings also... Hmmm.... That's what I would suggest. LOL With his Zeagle flathead regs.... Now that, would be a nice package...

Don't know any of his puters... Not that they aren't good. Just not familiar with em..

mongoose:
Please do not buy from LP.
*sigh* Here we go again... That's a pretty flat statement, if you mean it generally. If you meant it in Sam's specific case as a beginner buying regulators, then I apologize in advance for the sigh. :wink:
mongoose:
From what I have read on this board they are not an authorized dealer for Zeagle
Quite true.
mongoose:
and you can run into serious warranty issues if you do not buy from an auth dealer.
Well, you won't get the manufacturer's warranty, though LP provides their own warranty.
mongoose:
Further, you will not likely find someone accountable to take your troubles to. Your only interface with them is an 800 number, and all they have to do to make you go away is hang up.
What's been your first-hand experience?
mongoose:
those regs will come separately, and you will need to set them up on your 1st stage yourself. You've been certified how long? Do you relly want to be doing that?
It's not rocket science to attach hoses to a first stage.
mongoose:
Call Larry at scubatoys. They will completely take care of you.
I agree. Larry and ScubaToys are a first-rate operation. Unless Sam had his heart set on AquaLung for some reason, which he apparently didn't; and unless he had already ordered from LP, which ditto.

Plus like Ledznvrdead mentioned, ScubaToys will service the reg for $39.95 for life (as will LP); except that I believe ScubaToys will include parts.

--Marek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom