Opinions on potential BP/W setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you get the doubles wing and us it on single tank, it's going trap air on one side or the other, and in general make diving less fun. Once you go into doubles get ready to back up the money truck. I would think about getting a single big steel tank. then you can ditch some more wight and have longer bottom time. I like steel HP120's

Did you ever consider using a jacket style BCD? They've been used successfully for many years by all sorts of divers. Many styles and sizes are available to suit any taste. :stirpot: :rofl3:
(I just thought that since the BP/ wing guys hijack so many threads, I'd stick my oar in.....actually I like BP/Wings as well, though I have a couple of back inflate BCDs that work fine until I need to replace one. Then I'll get a backplate for my wing)

Did you ever consider using a jacket style BCD? They've been used successfully for many years by all sorts of divers. Many styles and sizes are available to suit any taste. :stirpot: :rofl3:

Just finished cleaning the coffee off the keyboard.

To the OP, get a singles wing you will be happier than trying to make a doubles wing work. Patience works, wait , save some cash, and look for a good deal, I found a closeout Dive Rite Classic doubles wing new for $125 after they came out with their new Classic. Between deals like that and buying used I outfit myself well without breaking the bank.

Bob

I have used a DiveRite Rec wing as my main diving wing for a number of years. It performs flawlessly with alu 12lt twinset, single alu 15lt with stage or steel 15lt with steel 7lt stage. I have only occasionally dived it with a single 12lt and I never noticed any taco effect, flapping or trapped air (I have not removed the gusset control bungees). I think the wing would reach its limits for steel 12lt twinsets with stages (where more lift will be required).

Just buy the webbing, D-rings, weight keepers, buckle, and backplate (steel). The wing should be between 40lbs and 65lbs, depending on how many stage/deco tanks you might use. I have 3 wings for doubles.

I've done some reading, so before I get torn apart for using a wing that's ok at both doubles and singles, but good at neither, keep in mind I am a college student at the moment. I don't have the cash to get a different wing for every setup, so I figured it would be best to get a wing that allows me to get comfortable with a BP/W setup and gives me the option to dive singles and doubles (if I use doubles they would most likely be AL80's). I looked at a lot of other wings from many companies such as DGX, DSS, HOG, etc. but none seemed as suitable to diving both singles and doubles as the Rec EXP (with clips to prevent the wing from wrapping around the tank).

Here is the thing, you being a poor college kid does not change the dynamics of the equipment you need, it simply puts limitations on what you can buy when and for how much. If I was a poor college kid I would not be looking to buy any wing new. Wing prices are crazy (personal opinion) and you can make some significant contributions to your equipment locker with a bit of time and wisdom. Wings come up all the time for sale and at a fraction of the cost of new. So keep your eyes peeled and be smart, you could have two nice wings for the cost of a single wing. Case in point, I just purchased a $400 Apeks 45lb single bladder double wing for $100, used for maybe 15 dives. Keep your eyes open.

Hi Everyone!

I posted in this forum a few days ago trying to get a better idea of what exactly I need to set up an effective, first BP/W setup, and after doing a decent amount of research, I was hoping to get some (constructive) feedback on the combination I'm leaning towards at the moment. As a little background, I'm about 6'1", 167lbs and 95% of my diving thus far has been freshwater diving throughout the midwest, although I will be in North Carolina this summer. I usually dive dry with an undergarment and currently carry 28lbs with a single AL80 tank. I am looking for a setup which is cost-effective, and gives me the option of potentially playing around with some doubles in the future (I am aware this won't be the last BP/W setup I'll ever need):
  • Wing: Dive Rite REC EXP Wing (Dive Rite Rec EXP Wing - BackPlates & Wings - Scuba Equipment Dive Gear Best Prices). I've done some reading, so before I get torn apart for using a wing that's ok at both doubles and singles, but good at neither, keep in mind I am a college student at the moment. I don't have the cash to get a different wing for every setup, so I figured it would be best to get a wing that allows me to get comfortable with a BP/W setup and gives me the option to dive singles and doubles (if I use doubles they would most likely be AL80's). I looked at a lot of other wings from many companies such as DGX, DSS, HOG, etc. but none seemed as suitable to diving both singles and doubles as the Rec EXP (with clips to prevent the wing from wrapping around the tank).
  • BP & Harness: DRIS HOG Package (Plate + Harness + STA Package-Stainless Steel - Dive Right in Scuba). This package seemed ideal to me because it comes with an STA, has the option to swap in a SS backplate for my case, plus I've used HOG/Edge gear before and I'm a big fan.
  • Weight: This is where I'm a little unsure; I know the SS backplate will deduct around 6lbs of weight; I was thinking for the rest I would get 2 larger 10lb ditchable pockets which thread onto the harness (such as these: Quick Drop Weight Pocket-LG - Dive Right in Scuba) and if I needed more I would thread a Dive Rite trim weight pocket or two (Travel Weight Pocket with Locking Attachment - Dive Right in Scuba) onto the cam bands. Does this sound reasonable? I liked the idea of being able to shift the trim weights to either upper or lower cam band depending on necessity. Also, how much does an STA add in terms of weight by itself? I'm wondering if it's negligible or if it may help me shave a few lbs. of my waist.
I think the only other item I would need are a pair of cam bands which seem pretty universal. Found some cheap ones on DGX so I'll probably go with those. Cumulatively, this setup costs around $670.

Like I said, I'm just looking for some input on this setup, and some advice about where/how I should place the weight :)

Cheers!
Go with Halcyon you won't be disappointed.

Go with Halcyon you won't be disappointed.

Except for that whole "I am a broke college kid". When it comes time to crack open that wallet you will be disappointed. When it comes to something as basic as a backplate I just do not see where Halcyon beats a much cheaper HOG backplate. Yes, I have worn both and no you would not have a clue with a blindfold on which is on your back. Thats another one of those pointless posts just to toss a "name" out there, same as the people asking for a reg and the first thing someone says is Scubapro.

Just looked for a Halcyon SS backplate with a rather standard HOG harness and 30lb wing - $772 from Diveseekers, no tax or shipping add.

Then I went over to DSS and priced out a SS backplate with standard HOG harness and LCD 30lb wing - $470, no tax or shipping added.

I can't see anything at all that would justify that extra $300 other than having an H on your gear.

Or Deep6, for example. I have a Polish BP/W (tecline) which is mid-price here in Europe, and looks identical to the Deep6 wing. I like it a lot. Backplate and webbing shouldn't add a huge amount to cost.

Oxcheq 30lb wing with whatever backplate you'd like (they're all the same, really). Use a DIR harness. You'll love the clutter free d-rings. Your cam bands you want should be determined by if you want SS cams that will score your cylinders or if you want nylon cams that won't. Use a SS STA for ballast and stability. You don't need ditchable weights. In a 7 mil I need about 4 lbs to sink me. USe small pouches placed on your cam bands. They cost less. I'm a broke highschooler. Trust me, choose value over initial price.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom