Opinions on the Stylus 500

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a Stylus 500 and the Olympus housing to use on my dive in Hawaii. I am new to scuba and underwater photography. I want a camera that I can take good pictures easily. Also, how effective is the flash on the camera? If anyone has used or has opinions they would be greatly appreciated.

hoosier1350:
I am thinking about buying a Stylus 500 and the Olympus housing to use on my dive in Hawaii. I am new to scuba and underwater photography. I want a camera that I can take good pictures easily. Also, how effective is the flash on the camera? If anyone has used or has opinions they would be greatly appreciated.

Bought a stylus 500 about 3 weeks ago and took it to fiji. GREAT little camera. We had 3 divers using these cameras and all took terriffic shots. Two used only the internal flash and got amazing macro with it. I used a Sea & Sea slave strobe and got some excellent pictures. The 2.5 screen is fantastic and makes it really easy to use. I think this is an idea "entry level" digital u.w. camera. The only thing missing is TTL strobe ability.

Seasaw:
Bought a stylus 500 about 3 weeks ago ...

Hi Hoosier,

I was looking at the Stylus 500, what attracts me is that big beautiful screen. How did the camera preform, I read some posts about Oly's having longer cycle times than Cannon's, etc? What about the underwater modes, did they manage to knock out some of the blue? I would use it primarily for snorkeling, and the screen on my current Reefmaster DC3200 is basically blank in daylight.

Thanks,

Derek

I just got one for my GF. Awsome screen on it! I'll see how it does saturday for pics aganst my 5060.

I just bought mine today. waiting for my underwater housing. how did the pictures look?

Sarah

Wildcard:
I just got one for my GF. Awsome screen on it! I'll see how it does saturday for pics aganst my 5060.

sossier:
how did the pictures look?

Sarah

We tested out our new ones in a pool last weekend. Used a colorful pool ball and a tube of toothpaste for tests (it sank, and it had white and colors on it). The colors look good, especially in the underwater mode. The screen is very easy to see, even in bright sunlight. The camera produces nice and sharp, colorful shots, and is easy to use.

We will use these exclusively for snorkling, so I can't comment on the housing (pt-26)for deep dives with thick gloves, but the buttons are well laid out and easy to press. The fact that the camera is spash proof, and won't melt in a single drop of water is a nice feature too. A couple of test prints came out well; bright and sharp.

Derek

I find the buttons a little close together. I also find the single gasket worrysome. The screen is awsome and the couple of pics she shot "right" turned out well. Not near the function settings as a higher end camera but for most UW pics it should do just fine.

Derek,

I have not read the book yet, but are you saying you dont need a housing when you snorkle???

Sarah

cannon fodder:
We tested out our new ones in a pool last weekend. Used a colorful pool ball and a tube of toothpaste for tests (it sank, and it had white and colors on it). The colors look good, especially in the underwater mode. The screen is very easy to see, even in bright sunlight. The camera produces nice and sharp, colorful shots, and is easy to use.

We will use these exclusively for snorkling, so I can't comment on the housing (pt-26)for deep dives with thick gloves, but the buttons are well laid out and easy to press. The fact that the camera is spash proof, and won't melt in a single drop of water is a nice feature too. A couple of test prints came out well; bright and sharp.

Derek

sossier:
Derek,
are you saying you dont need a housing when you snorkle???
Sarah

You need the housing to snorkle. The camera is water resistant "splash proof", not water proof, it cannot be submerged. I am commenting on other cameras that I have had that give dire warnings about what will happen to the camera should the least amount water come in contact with it. The stylus will survive if a drop or two of water is dripped on it at the beach or on a boat outside of the housing. I am not planning to test out what will happen if too much sea water gets on it though.

It is still a basic point and shoot camera, it is just built better than the Reefmaster camera I used to have. The housing looks nice and solid for snorkeling, two clasps rather than one one the reefmaster. I cannot compare it to the heavy duty deep diving models from Ikelite, having no experience with them. Frankly it is a nice uprade from a bargain basement model, but it is not the digital hassleblad come nuclear submarine that more serious divers/photographers want:wink:. It seems like it will do very nicely for a couple of middle aged snorklers on a beach trip who want to take a couple of fish shots with minimal fuss though.

Cheers,

Derek

Back
Top Bottom