Opinions on the value of taking the course so you can use Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

its a strange thing, I certified as ocean diver with bsac which allows me to use nitrox but does NOT allow me to use nitrox tables

That's because BSAC is interested in the lower N2 loading of the mix. When you complete your Sports Diver you will then be certified to dive using Nitrox tables or the Nitrox setting of your computer.

With your 20m qualification depth limit and (normally) higher gas consumption rate you will rearly get close to the mandatory stop part of the air 88 Tables.

Your instructor should have explained the advantages and disadvantages of Nitrox during threory lesson OT4:

Advantages of Nitrox:
● Greater safety factor against DCI: Air tables and computers (air) assume 79% N2, however, nitrox mixtures > 21% O2 have less nitrogen, therefore giving less exposure to nitrogen.
● Longer no-stop times with nitrox tables and computers: The reduced amount of nitrogen means more dive time before stops are required.

Disadvantages of Nitrox:
● Nitrox divers are still exposed to nitrogen. Staying overtime, rapid ascents, being unfit, drug/alcohol abuse, dehydration and all other normal causes of DCI cannot be ignored

Kind regards

John You won't be able to read this since I am being ignored but......

If I was a super-sensitive conformist I would have edited my post by now. Since I am comfortable with the intent and context of my words I will leave it. (I am comfortable with myself as an altruistic and charitable person) My intent was not to offend or provoke but If I cannot be who I am and post in-the-moment then I would not post at all. If I edit myself ad nauseum and become a water-down version poster it would not be authentic. Though highly unlikely, but if we met in real life you'd be expecting a demure and shy woman and I'd be the one in the bikini singing Pink's "Blow Me One Last Kiss" at the top of my lungs and that would just be awkward.

If I was a super-sensitive conformist I would have edited my post by now. Since I am comfortable with the intent and context of my words I will leave it. (I am comfortable with myself as an altruistic and charitable person) My intent was not to offend or provoke but If I cannot be who I am and post in-the-moment then I would not post at all. If I edit myself ad nauseum and become a water-down version poster it would not be authentic. Though highly unlikely, but if we met in real life you'd be expecting a demure and shy woman and I'd be the one in the bikini singing Pink's "Blow Me One Last Kiss" at the top of my lungs and that would just be awkward.

+1, I'm guessing you can live without his attitude and his answer. Be who you are!

I would say that you should take the nitrox course when one of two things ocurrs:

1. Your bottom time starts being limited by your NDL instead of your air consumption. OR
2. You get a really good deal on the course. My course cost the same as anywhere else, but involved two charter dives. I essentially got two dives for free.

Just goes to show retardation can strike anyone at any moment.:wink:

I was the first of my group of dive buddies to make the switch to Nitrox, and after we experienced the long bottom times and short surface intervals, everybody switched. On air, if we dove deeper than 60 feet for any period of time, the surface intervals required for the next dive got pretty long. It wont make much difference if you go shallower and use your air before the NDL. There is enormous benefit in learning about nitrox, it forces you to think about the physics of diving, and what can go wrong, and why. Taking an additional course is sure to deepen your understanding of diving in general.

To me, the nitrox course was of value as it created a paradigm shift in the way I viewed what I breathed. No longer "air" it became a combination of elements that each had a specific effect upon my body and that could be manipulated. Even though I now rarely use it I still found value in the course for that reason.

...and I've always used the term retard to describe someone who is intentionally stupid (you know who you are) so I guess I'm on the list too. Save the offense for people who are trying to be offensive. Attacking someone without malice is, in itself, malicious.

I originally figured my nitrox course was a waste of time. Fill tank, write down mod, dive it. Even a tar, uh er caveman, uh er demo, uh nevermind can do it. read table.

But there are are some parts that serve you down the road, such as calcing your own PPO2, that will serve value as/if you advance to more technical diving.

I'm just preparing for my advanced nitrox (EAN100) and advanced trimix courses in a few weeks.

I had an answer ready to post, but then I read this:

Welcome to my ignore list; population: you.

Wow, some seriously thin-skinned people on this board lately!!

To answer the original OP. As what has already been stated multiple times, I agree that it is good to have, but after you build experience and get more into more advanced dives. Being Open Water certified, it limits you to around 60' in depth. An instructor shouldn't even allow you to take a Nitrox course until you have completed your AOW certification.

My two cents are, gain more experience diving, get Advanced Open Water certified, dive more...gain more experience then go for your Nitrox.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom