Opinions Requested

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really don't want to start debate either, however, you do ask a very good question and deserve an equally good answer.

Give you some of my background, I'm currently a PADI Course Director and DSAT TecRec IT. I'm very familiar with both style of kits.

As I mentioned, I prefer the standard non-technical rig. BC, integrated pockets with trim pockets and ankle weights. I have found that getting a novist diver familiar (remember, we are talking about a new OW diver) with this for a couple of years AND this may also conform to the same gear as most of his buddies will be wearing (big assumption here).

If you want to start a newer diver with a more technical type of gear and teach him/her the differences to usage it, than great. But I would rather not confuse the issue based upon Tech vs. Recreational.

Gear is gear, how you use it and feel diving with it is the important thing. I've trained thousands of students over the years and found that you need fit the person to their comforts and safety.

I still stand by statement. Go out to a store and try the different configurations. Don't pick it upon what it looks like, what people tell you about it and it works for them, pick it based upon whether you fell comfortable. Backplate, harness or BC.

Hope that is a good explaination.....

season greetings to all.

bh

Based on your the amount of weight you're using , I'm guessing your a BIG guy like I am. I'm 6 ft 250 lbs.

That amount of weight on a weight belt will give you back problems. Been there, done that. I've been diving for 30 years (teaching for 25)and have gone from horse collars to stab-jackets and now I'm in a backplate and wing.

I have two, one for singles with a smaller wing (80 cu ft aluminum) sport no-deco (non-tech) diving and one for my twin 98's with larger wing for deep/tech dives. The backplate on my twins is aluminum, since they are 12 lbs negative in FW. BTW they weigh up 100 lbs out of the water.

The backplate is the most comfortable arrangement for handling heavy weight, double are rigged on backplates.
I'm not going to sell you on DIR that's another discussion , that's well covered else where.

A stainless steel backplate will take some weight off your waist and distribute it evenly over your back, and you can add a keel weight if you want more.
For sport O/W or AO/W diving I recommend you keep some ditchable weight. A weight belt will still work here but you'd only wear 10 -20 lbs depending on how much you put in the keel weight. Brand of backplate is not important, there are lots to choose from ie: Diverite, OMS, Helcyon, Abyssmal, Koplin, FredT , Oxycheck to name a few. Koplin and FredT are members of the Scubaboard Forum.

As far as the wing is concerned most of them are good. If you're a purist and want to go DIR then Helcyon is the brand of choice (not mine). I prefer a wing with a urethane bladder and separate cordura outer bag to protect it. I also like a pull dump on my inflator hose . (NOT DIR it's considered a failure point) Also I advise you stay away from bungied wings, they can and do trap air in the folds between the bungies. (I have witnessed this first hand)

If you still want integrated weights, Diverite and I'm sure others make weight pockets, that you can put bag weights or hard weights into and still be able to ditch.
When thinking about integrated weights remember you still have to lift this mother to get it on your back, and tote it around at the dive sight.

Hope this helps
best regards\

MIKE D

Halcyon makes several excellent single tank wings and they build an integrated weight system as well. Their latest single tank wing, the eclipse, is a cordura outer with the coated nylon inner bladder just like their double wing. Northern Tech in Kingston has the Pioneer systems in their rental stock if you want to give one a try. PM TomR on this list and he'll set you up.

Kevin Ripley

I will never own a "plain and simple jacket style bc." again and I'm not a Tech diver I'm a Proud "stroke" I like the freedom of movement a back plate and wing give.
I use a Stainless Steel OMS and use 12 lbs of lead and I'm a big guy

Here's something else to think about....

I had a jacket-like BC and found it almost impossible to trim myself properly while wearing the weight I needed to dive in cold water. The weight-integrated BC's seem like they do a much better job for warm water diving where the diver doesn't have the same weight requirements. I switched to a bp/w and my trim was much better and I dropped a few pounds of lead immediately. It seems to me that the padding and extra material in the jacket had enough inherent lift to up my weight requirement.

My $.02

Rachel

I had a jcket style BC...bought it before I even knew about backplates....had a chance to trya backplate and bought one right after. It is very comfortable and much easier to maintain my bouyancy and trim.
good luck

I just got bashed to no end for posting if a new diver should or shouldnt start with a BP and wing setup, i told them i had ordered an OMS rig (you know, the comfort harness system, a 100lb lift wing which i now know is absurd for the kind of diving i will do FOR NOW, so im gonna change it to a 45 lb lift bc, i must admit i didnt configure it correctly, but i was basically told by the SENIOR MEMBERS NO NO NO NO!!!!!!, can anybody tell me if its ok for a novice to start with a BP and wing setup?

And please only serious replies it is very important for me to know im doing the right thing.
thank you

Dude, I think you need to go back to your thread and re read the replies. No one was bashing you. A bp&w is a good setup to get as a novice. A 100# lift wing is too much for single tanks. I think thats all people were tryin to say. Get over it. Stop whining...

You were the biggest one against the BP and harness for me, i admit to the mistake about the wing, but if you re-read the posts i had no chance with my newly aquired equipment, i was like what am i gonna do now?, and i am definetly not doubting or questioning your experience, just it would have been good practice from a guy with experience to say "maybe you ought to get a 45 lb lift wing, instead of 100" you flat out told me i would not enjoy my diving with my rig, NO NO NO , sound familiar?, i came here for help, not to second guess my purchase.

Actually, it seems you dont know how to read.

I am not against a BP&W for beginners. I was against your particular choices for a bp and w. The BP I would suggest would be a simple one with hogarthian rigging, and no pockets, cumberbund, or any other crap as you described. The wing was too big for single tanks, as I suggested in your thread , get a smaller wing.

No where in my post did I say No, No, NO... or tthat you wouldnt enjoy your diving...

YOu need a lot of help, and I dont think SB is going to be able to help you in all areas...

You are in NY, right? I would be happy to refer you to a very good psychiatrist down your way...Let me know...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom