Oppertunity for Halcyon Explore BP/W setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bowtieman427

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Totally new to BP/W so forgive me for Nob questiosn
I have an oppertunity to get a Halcyon Explore 55# wing, back plate, harness and pak for a Very reasonable price. I beleave this is setup for doubles which I have never done and do not plan too for some time.
Current setup:
6'2" 210#
I dive with a DUI TLS350
AL80 single
use 32# weight
SP Knighthawk with Air II

have about 10 dives in Drysuit and my SP Knighthawk which is a good BC but have been having issues with it shifting around on me and having trim issues with it when it does. Eventually I would like to go doubles and also would like to get some weight off or atleast have it in the right place.
What all would it take to get this setup for single AL80s ?

The Explorer wing is designed to be used with double tanks, as such it is quite a bit wider than a wing designed for use with a single tank. If you use it with a single AL80 you're going to end up with "taco tank", a condition in which all of the air in the wing is above your tank. It will cause you a bit of grief manipulating/dumping air in and from the wing. If you want ot go the bp/w route and are planning on diving a single tank, be sure to get a wing designed for it, you'll be much happier. Additionaly, be wary of the "I want to dive double tanks in the future so I'll be crafty and buy a doubles wing now and save myself a few bucks later on" and the "this wing will work well for both double tanks and single tanks" traps. Both are doable but you'll be much happier with two separate wings to do two separate jobs.

I geuss to help me out. Is it just a matter of getting a new wing for singles ? The harness, plate, & pak, remain the same ? #55 wing is way to big for a single I think a #30-40 wing would be more then enough for me diving single AL80.

Yea, it's just a matter of switching out the wing. Don't go solely by lift capacity though, the shape of the wing is also important. For example, if you go onto the halcyon website you'll notice that both eclipse (single tank) and evolve (double tank) wings come in the 30-40lb lift capacity range but are different shapes/sizes. A 30lb lift capacity is all you really need for diving with the setup you described, but if you're planning on having a fair bit of weight on your BC it's nice to have around 40 so that it can float with you out of it.

Another thing to consider even though this is a bit out of the scope of your question is to move into a steal tank. This would save you about 5lbs off your weightbelt (of course it all depends on which tank you go with). This combined with a plate at -5 to -6lbs you'll be knocking off your lead quickly!

I would wait for a similar good deal on a used Halcyon rig with 30# Eclipse wing which is perfect for your Al80. One other idea would be to keep a watch on Extreme Expousure's (Jablonski's retail dive shop) web-site in their blemish blow out section for a blemished plate, wing and MC storage pac. You should be able to acquire a totally outfitted new rig for around 40-50% off retail. Blemishes are oftem time difficult to notice and carry full warranty. As a matter of fact, I would just call to inquire as they acquire items from their factory before they are able to post on site. Scott

Extreme Exposure - Home | Extreme Exposure

If you're getting a good price on that rig, I'd get it.

Then, I'd sell the wing (assuming you have no interest in going doubles) and buy a single wing.

If you're getting a good price on that rig, I'd get it.

Then, I'd sell the wing (assuming you have no interest in going doubles) and buy a single wing.

You gotta like a plan with few moving parts. I hope you live next to a UPS facility. :D

P.S. Also he would have to acquire a STA ($140 retail) which would most not likely be included with a second hand wing purchase.

Last edited:
Just throwin' this out there, but. . . Just because you use a Halcyon backplate/harness doesn't mean you have to pay top dollar and put a Halcyon wing on it. There are single's wings out there that would fit on the BP, wouldn't break the bank, and only require tank bands, no STA. I know that's blasphemy, but I'm just saying. . . :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom