Optical Ocean Sales Focus/Video Light Beam Test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, although the Video 1200 has a spot beam as well. The Photo 1200 has just the 3 white and red.
No slip on red filter that I know of.

The AL1x5 is new and has a higher power CRE bulb. It uses 3 AAA batteries, but only has a burn time of 1.2 hrs. Still enough for 2 dives for the most part. The FF1x5 has been out for a long time, we've sold lots of them but are stocking the AL now due to it's smaller size.

Jack

Yes, although the Video 1200 has a spot beam as well. The Photo 1200 has just the 3 white and red.
No slip on red filter that I know of.

Jack

Jack what's your take on the red light capability...must have or limited usefulness/gimmicky?

Hmm, I think the red light is nice to have. Some critters (crab, octos, etc) can't see it. Other fish are more relaxed, but still know there is a big, noisy, air-breathing diver near to them. Actually I think the biggest benefit is that my eyes are more accustomed to the dark and I have better night vision using the red light. The other big advantage is that sea lice and plankton don't get in your lights, which at times can't make it impossible to shoot.

So...must have? Not sure...nice to have definitely.

Jack

The I-Torch pro mini looks like a significant improvement on my Nano focus light. I want a small light to mount on the cold shoe of my Recsea S95 housing. What about battery life? Will it last a 1 hour night dive or dark wreck dive if it needs to be on maximum or are the lower settings bright enough under these circumstances?? I have seen this same torch advertised as using 2 AA batteries. What gives?

Hi I work with Jack and just got back from 10 days of using the I-Torch Pro Mini as my focus light, on an Aquatica D7000 set up. My previous light was the Hartenberger Nano. So a quick review: Size is fantastic (25% of the Hartenberger) so easy to just leave on the housing all the time. Simple to move through the three power settings, just make sure the clamp on the light is secure. Makes an excellent focus light in all conditions, even when shooting wide angle subjects at a bit of distance. Burn time.....I will admit never ran it full power for a whole dive as at night I am mostly shooting macro subjects, so it did last +60minutes but I would still want a back up light in the BC, in case you run into the +80min dive range. Typically I changed the battery about every three dives (typical day time tropical diving) just to play it safe. Remember it comes with two batteries. For shooting video it is a capable light for subjects 2' and smaller in daylight conditions. In overcast, dusk or night dives can shoot decent video of subjects 3'-4' range in size.

So overall a great focus light, decent "macro" video light and a perfect travel light. I would be comfortable it being your primary night dive light in "typical tropical" conditions. Due to this combo I can honestly say the Hartenberger will be showing up in the classified section......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom