Orca spots????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opiniongirl:
just rub a little anchovy paste behind each ear

works like a charm

Unlike the Sea World Attack, Killer Whale Attacks on Humans are extremely rare. As mentioned in our previous article on “Killer Whales”, these animals do not deserve their name of Killer. These Orca Attacks on humans in the wild are virtually unheard of! In fact, the much smaller “Pilot Whale”, has been responsible for more attacks on humans than the Killer Whale. The so-called “Killer Whale Attack On A Human” that recently took place was technically not even a “real” attack. For those of us that are privileged to work with exotic animals in captivity, we clearly see the situation as the whale’s confusion on the appropriate behavior to use. This was clearly not a deliberate attack on the trainer. If it was a true Killer Whale Attack, rest assured, the trainer would have been killed or hurt. Remember, Killer Whales are actually dolphins and not true whales. They were given the name “Killer Whale” because they frequently hunt and feed upon other cetaceans.

www.tigerhomes.com

SO MUCH FOR THE ANCHOVY PASTE, GUESS YOU WANT THE KILLER WHALE TO LICK YOUR EAR

Opiniongirl, If I wanted childish answers I could ask my 3 year old son, he might even give me better answers, like Killer Whales don't it Anchovys, guess I've done my research!!! :wink:

From a little bit of research, not all Orcas eat the same thing, be it seals, fish, or the like. Current research suggests its a socially learned thing and that a pod will generally ONLY eat what they have been taught to eat. So if you are going to dive, I would find a pod that likes fish vs. one that eats seals -- just in case there is a possiblity of mistaken identity.

Would I dive with an Orca, ya probably...but then again, you might very well read about me in the obits....but I am not convinced, they are rather intelligent. Maybe more then me.

[wondering to self] Do Orcas eat Otters?

See the movie, Killer Whales..Killer I Have Known. It's about a women who is very interested in whales(documentary), killer whales, she dives with some transient Killer Whales, and she says those are supposively the most dangerous, but they did't harm her they took a quick peak and where satisfied, she too says they can be unpredictble. My opinion, Killer Whales would not attack a human, unless provoked, and what animal wouldn't, Heck what human wouldn't, NEVER, he might want to inspect you or he might want to play (bioligist named Cristoff discovered when he walks in the water the Orcas come to take a peak, and leave, they know the splashes he makes when he entered were not that of a seal but something else so it inspected it.) Pgymy Killer Whales which are like 10 feet have attacked humans more than Killer Whale.

Mustapha Loves Guns:
See the movie, Killer Whales..Killer I Have Known. It's about a women who is very interested in whales(documentary), killer whales, she dives with some transient Killer Whales, and she says those are supposively the most dangerous, but they did't harm her they took a quick peak and where satisfied, she too says they can be unpredictble. My opinion, Killer Whales would not attack a human, unless provoked, and what animal wouldn't, Heck what human wouldn't, NEVER, he might want to inspect you or he might want to play (bioligist named Cristoff discovered when he walks in the water the Orcas come to take a peak, and leave, they know the splashes he makes when he entered were not that of a seal but something else so it inspected it.) Pgymy Killer Whales which are like 10 feet have attacked humans more than Killer Whale.

By all means...happy diving then. since you seem to be ignoring the advice of the majority on this board regarding diving with them, perhaps you'll at least respect Canadian law should you come to this country.

And I'm sorry you felt a small joke was "childish". I can only imagine how a more complex joke would infuriate you, so I'll refrain from making any more about the silliness of your entire post (ask for advice, then spout off how wrong we all are..)

good luck with the whales - hope they aren't feeling frisky.

spidershim123:
Unlike the Sea World Attack, Killer Whale Attacks on Humans are extremely rare. As mentioned in our previous article on “Killer Whales”, these animals do not deserve their name of Killer. These Orca Attacks on humans in the wild are virtually unheard of! In fact, the much smaller “Pilot Whale”, has been responsible for more attacks on humans than the Killer Whale. The so-called “Killer Whale Attack On A Human” that recently took place was technically not even a “real” attack. For those of us that are privileged to work with exotic animals in captivity, we clearly see the situation as the whale’s confusion on the appropriate behavior to use. This was clearly not a deliberate attack on the trainer. If it was a true Killer Whale Attack, rest assured, the trainer would have been killed or hurt. Remember, Killer Whales are actually dolphins and not true whales. They were given the name “Killer Whale” because they frequently hunt and feed upon other cetaceans.

www.tigerhomes.com

SO MUCH FOR THE ANCHOVY PASTE, GUESS YOU WANT THE KILLER WHALE TO LICK YOUR EAR

People must also realize that they are not the cute whales that love to jump through hoops for the entertainment of us humans.

Resident and transient whales are much, much different in how and what they hunt. there are also rogue whales displaying agressive nature. Not enough research has been done, and the average joe would have no way of telling what is a transient and what is a resident. How they are in captivity is absolutely different, and I am "fortunate enough" to prefer to see them in the wild, rather than wathcing them perform a version of Moulon Rouge at the local aquarium.

Killer whales can kick a great white sharks a**. They aren't cute, cuddly friendly creatures that love humans like the aquariums like to portray. Sure, in captivity they develop a relationship with their trainers, but in real life would very many researchers jump in the water with a transient? I don't think so. This is why BC is having a HUGE problem with one of the whales here - the mass public has a warped view of wild animals. they're practically camped out waiting for it to breach and do back flips like seaworld of the north.

Exactly the same as tourists up north trying to get photos of polar bears..
some family putting honey on their little girls's hand so that they could get a photo of a black bear licking their 4 year old.
panda bears kickin the butt of a tourist who ignored the fence.

wild is wild - walt disney it aint.

And for goodness sakes, folks, if you have absolutely zero sense of humor about anchovy paste (in reference to dabbing perfume behind the ear) then I suggest you really really need a holiday. It was not that complex.

I used to have regular sightings of a pod of orcas back home in NZ when I was growing up. The pod would come in the bay a few times a year. I have even had a full sized mother and calf dive under the boat I was on and I had one of those eyeball to eyeball encounters that changes your perspective on this animal forever.

I think that is why I call them Orcas not killers. Have I been in the water with them? YES, but unfortyunately not with a mask. I was lying on the surface a kilometer off shore, winded and catching my breath after being catapaulted off my windsurfer, when the whole pod of about 12 passed within meters of me on both sides.

The big bulls dorsal was way over six feet high. an awe inspiring sight, but there was no agressive behavior on their part. They knew I was not what they eat, so they carried on their way. These are way clever beasties, and I dont think they pose any great threat to humans unless harrassed or provoked.

cancun mark:
I used to have regular sightings of a pod of orcas back home in NZ when I was growing up. The pod would come in the bay a few times a year. I have even had a full sized mother and calf dive under the boat I was on and I had one of those eyeball to eyeball encounters that changes your perspective on this animal forever.

I think that is why I call them Orcas not killers. Have I been in the water with them? YES, but unfortyunately not with a mask. I was lying on the surface a kilometer off shore, winded and catching my breath after being catapaulted off my windsurfer, when the whole pod of about 12 passed within meters of me on both sides.

The big bulls dorsal was way over six feet high. an awe inspiring sight, but there was no agressive behavior on their part. They knew I was not what they eat, so they carried on their way. These are way clever beasties, and I dont think they pose any great threat to humans unless harrassed or provoked.

I've been to New Zealand, I filmed a pod of 5 transient orcas, they swam to fast. OpinionGirl, no fense but you don't know what your talking about. First, remember when people said that Sperm Whales where vicious till someone went in the water with them and found out how gentle they were? Yea by all meens I've been in the water with them, and I'm not from Canada. You've been watching to many movies, these animals aren't stupid and attack you for no reason, like cancun mark said, we're not part of their diet and if we provoke them then they will snap. And you say I need a vacation? Sorry I don't laugh at your senseless humor. I started this thread to get info and here you come bagging on me wiht not much research done here, but your the one wo needs the research on Orcas. I will be happy to prove anyone wrong.

LOL, I saw that Panda on t.v. before they tried to take a picture and the panda like grabbed the lady, I think was. But with the Killer Whales I'll have to agree with the gun man. Black bear, honey, four year old, what has this world come too.

Like I said, residents are different from transients. Yes, they come up to boats, etc, etc...but how does one tell the difference between a transient and a resident unless one is familiar? I am in no way suggesting that they are aggressive, only that the opionion of most researchers is that it is not wise. You the one filming them, the armchair researcher, yet you are asking in a diving chatroom where to find them? hmmmm.....

None of this is my opinion, only what I have read and learned - I'd be the first to dive with a pod if it was recommended. So, I'm not really insulted that you think I need to do more research...as I've done enough to respect their space and not disregard what I've learned. I live in BC, you live in lala land (your words, not mine), I didn't see them once on vacation.

But by all means Mustapha...dive in!!!! Just don't break any Canadian laws in doing so.

Back
Top Bottom