Oriskany Critter Photos from 6/12/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hetland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I found out about an afternoon trip to the Oriskany on the H2O Below and decided it was way better than another day dodging snapper fishermen on public reefs (another story). I hit the dock in time to see the morning trip folks unload and readied myself and my camera for some critter watching.

The ride out was smooth, as the wind had been kind to our part of the Gulf over the last few days.

The topside water was bathtub warm, and there was a layer of the usual whale snot until you hit the thermocline around 30ft. It was cooler below, but comfortably so, like walking into an air-conditioned house on a hot day. At-depth viz was around 70 to 80ft, and the water had that blue tone that I love so much, but it was a tad darker, mostly because of the aforementioned whalesnot, but also because it was later in the day.

We encountered snapper of all makes and models, amberjack, barracuda, damsels, queen angels, mingos, blue chromis, two kinds of butterfly fish, pencil urchins (don't remember seeing them here before) slipper lobster, doctorfish, blennies, and more.

I snapped a few photos and took some video. Not sure if I have enough video to bother editing, but I'll post the link here if I decide to do it. In the meantime here are the photos I'm not completely embarrassed by:

Freddie the Frogfish (formal name apparently)
0612_2.jpg

Male stripper disguised as a scuba diver
0612_1.jpg

Doctorfish
0612_3.jpg

Barracuda (check out the parasites around its mouth and eye)
0612_4.jpg

Something for everyone: Urchin, pencil urchin, blenny, chromis, and a red fish I can't place...
0612_5.jpg

Spotfin butterfly fish
0612_6.jpg

Some other kind of butterfly fish (can't be bothered to look it up)
0612_7.jpg

Damsel
0612_8.jpg

Grey snapper (aka mangrove snapper, aka black snapper)
0612_9.jpg

Queen angelfish (out of focus, I know, but the colors are just so pretty on that crown)
0612_9a.jpg

Queen angelfish
0612_9b.jpg

Spanish hogfish maybe?
0612_9c.jpg

Spanish hogfish maybe? and damsel
0612_9d.jpg

Surface interval snacks (chips and cookies not shown)
0612_9e.jpg

DecoDogs!
0612_9f.jpg

Yep, it was pretty much an awesome day to be diving! Thanks to Capt. Doug and the H2O Below for the usual hospitality.

nice.

Great pictures!

Looks like you guys had fun. Great photos!

Is that Rich cooking the Hot Dogs? You cut off his head? Nice pics, I can't believe you found a frog fish on the "O"!

Alex the red fish is a Mingo Snapped or commonly known around our parts as a Beeliner. Great pics. Looks like we missed a great show from Mrxray LOL.

Is that Rich cooking the Hot Dogs? You cut off his head? Nice pics, I can't believe you found a frog fish on the "O"!

Rich was taking a Nitrogen day, so I was cooking dogs, and dancing..... :)

Nice Pics Alex.

Wow, a bank butterfly fish....and some orange fish I have never seen before...nice, very, very nice. Am really jealous. Thanks for posting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom