Oriskany heading back to Texas....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
Since it is going to be back in Texas I have think of several places that we can sink the carrier. I know many coastal town that would like to have an added attraction for divers.

Go figure, more money spent on something that probably won't be sunk where they are talking about. I think it is wise to take it elsewhere during hurricane season but from what I have understood it was pretty clear that it wasn't going to be sunk this year, so why send it to FL in teh first place.

Lets think about this:

We want to sink the carrier.

The carrier is in Florida.

If a hurricane comes it might sink the carrier.

We need to move the carrier so that a hurricane wont sink it.

???

... and we want to make sure it wont pollute the water, so we gas up a tug and tow it back and forth from TX to FL.

...and so as not to waste the taxpayer's 6 million dollars on propper mooring that might serve other craft in the future, we will pay 90k a month to dock it and almost 2 million to move it round trip.

personally, I am hoping for a quickly develping leak in about 150 ft of water on the way back to TX.

Well, I would think it should be fully submerged when it sinks, so right at the dock wouldn't be a very good spot. :wink:
The delay is from the lack of an EPA permit/wavier for the remaining PCBs. If the precautions aren't taken to get a "legal" sinking, who know what level of red-tape the next possible sinking might face.

-Rob

Sounds like the boat was put in front of the sinking.

Why not just tow it out to the sinking spot and moor it. If it sinks during the Hurricane Season, then money saved. If it makes it through, then sink it later (at great expense)

Isn't the real issue the clean up?

Back
Top Bottom