Oriskany + Whale Shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is some awesome video and pics man!! You did great and it truly was an kick @*# dive!!!!! I'm ready to do more!! P.S. why did you have to scare the whale shark away?? You didn't want Barry and I to see it? haha

Thanks!

It was an awesome sight, that didn't last long enough for my liking. I could have burned a whole tank or five just watching him glide silently through the water. Honestly though, I knew Barry wanted to see one much more than I did, so I probably would have traded places with you guys if I could.

Those were taken by Bill a diver on my boat Saturday.

Gary:

The whale shark researchers is MS want to use those photos for research and identification. I'll send you a PM with the contact information. They need permission from Bill to use his photos.

Hopefully they'll be able to use the photos to give us more information on our giant friend!

-h

I know your a different agency but I just saw this posting and I bet you have something that might win!! Untitled Page

I know your a different agency but I just saw this posting and I bet you have something that might win!! Untitled Page

If that's directed towards me, then I thank you for the kind consideration, I'm happy with the way most of the posted photos turned out (for a change), and I got to practice some distance shots that I never bother trying, but need to learn more about. But wait until Barry posts his pics. I'd bet his will be better than mine.

I can pick out 50 things in my best photo that are "wrong". Part of that is the limitations of my camera, and the lack of a second strobe, part of it is that I still have a lot to learn, and even if I knew "everything", I would still need the skill to incorporate that knowledge into a finished photograph, and I would still need a little luck, as it's hard to tell a mako to slow down and turn to the left so that my photo turns out the way I want it :wink:

If anything of mine strikes you, then you are welcome to full-sized versions for your personal use. Let me know what you like, and I'd be happy to e-mail it to you. But don't place your order before seeing Barry's pics. He usually puts me to shame.

-ap

P.S. why did you have to scare the whale shark away?? You didn't want Barry and I to see it? haha

Yes, that sounds like something Hetland would do..:wink:

Both of you really do take awesome pics and videos :)

Nice report! The whalesharks have been hanging around a lot this year. There have been several reported sightings this summer at the O, the Pete Tide, and even a couple sightings at the 3 barges (pretty close to shore).

I finally got to see one at Pete Tide about a month ago in horrible vis. It came and went pretty quickly in the 15' - 20' vis.

I finally got my video of this trip done...Long week! I apologize for the fog and drips on the lens. After I rolled I could not get the camera to turn on. So I climbed back on board, and replaced the batteries....Same issue. Turned out to be a greasy contact on one of the battery ports, but the high temps and sligthly wet hands played havic on the lends housing through about 1/4 of the dive and between dives I worked on getting the drips off the lens only to reintroduce more warm and air and fog. So not my best efforts and seeing what I was going to be shooting with I made only a have assed effort. But here it is...

Oriskany Video 9-29-09 on Vimeo

Love the video. You do realize that it is killing me to watch it. :)

What would you charge to follow me around with your camera? :p

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom