Ostracod Dive on NYE?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wind Warrior

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So the full moon in December this year is on the 26th. Therefore the prime night for an ostracod dive is NYE. Have not spent NYE on Bonaire yet, but if it is anything like Curaçao…insane fireworks. Do the fireworks folks mainly keep to town, or can we expect them to migrate down south? Hoping if we head way down south, we can still do an ostracod dive that night with no interference from the “festivities”. We’ll be there for 5 weeks this winter, but unfortunately the timing only coincides with one full moon cycle.

So the full moon in December this year is on the 26th. Therefore the prime night for an ostracod dive is NYE. Have not spent NYE on Bonaire yet, but if it is anything like Curaçao…insane fireworks. Do the fireworks folks mainly keep to town, or can we expect them to migrate down south? Hoping if we head way down south, we can still do an ostracod dive that night with no interference from the “festivities”. We’ll be there for 5 weeks this winter, but unfortunately the timing only coincides with one full moon cycle.
No idea about the fireworks but you could do the Ostracods on the 4th night (the 30th) as it should be good. Also, I have heard that it is actually better after a New Moon compared to after a Full Moon. No experience as I have only gone on the dives after a full moon but you have 5 weeks so should be able to give it a try.

Bonaire folks take their fireworks seriously.........the sky was lit up crazy around any of the populated areas when we were there

Some other folks might chime in - maybe go to a less populated area - way north or south.

I will be in Bonaire then and am not familar with the Ostracod's. Where should I dive and what can I expect?

Dive far away from the downtown area. You want the least amount of ambient light. We usually go down south to Angel City, Invisibles, etc. It's pretty amazing. This is a great article that tells you all about it and how plan your dive! Have fun!

I think you'll be fine down south, but the prime time for ostracods is about 45 minutes after sunset, so you should be able to get a dive in, shower, have a drink, then enjoy the fireworks show later in the night!

Back
Top Bottom