Out of Air Incident - Assistant Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tony Montana....the one and only Cara Cortada.

(Scareface)

tony_montana_small.jpg

lolll too funny..nice one...

What u want a peice of me....( in my worse newyork acent..:wink: )

EDIT: CUBAN acent..:wink:...

scarefaceDM:

"Say 'ello to my little friend!"....:bigun2:

scarefaceDM:

Nah, Tony Montana was Cuban...

E:)

PADI provides a mechanism for reporting unsafe practices, etc. of it's instructors, AI's and DM's. I am sure that the other major certifying agencies do as well. Even in a non teaching environment, I think that certain outrageous dive behavior is reportable. We are taught to practice what we preach, and most do. Good luck.

VKdiver:
PADI provides a mechanism for reporting unsafe practices, etc. of it's instructors, AI's and DM's. I am sure that the other major certifying agencies do as well. Even in a non teaching environment, I think that certain outrageous dive behavior is reportable. We are taught to practice what we preach, and most do. Good luck.

I highly doubt any training agency would intervene in any diving issue that did not involve a teaching environment. Not only is it none of their business but they would have no recourse if the claims were proven true.
What next, someone report me to PADI for diving solo?

AHHHHHHHHH just got back some disturbing feedback. I was not sure as too how much Free Diving or Apnea is a risk during surface intervals so I posted on another topic.

The consensus is that it is a bad practice and dangerous.v:no

To add to my discomfort this so called "Assistant Instructor" was doing APNEA after a 34 METER dive during his Surface Interval.He was going down to 35 feet and bouncing up.

This guy is simply dumb and irresponsible!!! :smilies23

I was on a trip recently and the group included a couple of DM candidates who apparently had 60+ dives. Without going into too many details, I saw several instances where these guys got themselves into near OOA situations, and generally showed a complete lack of professional attitude. In short, I was pretty shocked that these guys were on their way to Instructordom yet lacked some of the basic OW skills I would have thought they should have mastered by now. It made me realise that even within the PADI framework, there are people I wouldn't trust to dive with, let alone be taught by.

Eyes opened.

Hi, everyone! Thanks for another interesting thread. I am very pleased to have joined this discussion board. I'd like to ask a couple of questions if I may.

I'm a PADI Advanced diver at 55 dives now (all in the tropics) and I do have aspirations at getting to master diver at some point in the future, mainly because I love the sport and want to continue pursuing skills (and mastering others) that will make me a safer diver in several environments.

My plan at the moment is to keep diving as I am and to get my own equipment by June of this summer. I just got my reg to add to my kit and am thinking about BCDs to fill in the final essential piece of my equipment. I feel as though I am a safe diver. My rating for this comes in large part due to the fact that I still take pre-dive checks seriously (modifying them as needed), and that my buoyancy and air consumption are now very much in a range that I like (consistent). Since I am a teacher by trade, I'll have the summer free to take more courses and do much more diving in my host country, the Philippines. I would also be free enough to start doing coursework for more advanced certifications.

I guess my question is at what point should I consider Master Diving courses? If the guys above are roughly at the same level I am and learning (but completely unsafe in practice), does this reflect poor experience or more a poor attitude, or perhaps both?

Hubris being a trait I can sometimes carry around on land with football (soccer for my Yank compatriots) and other sporting endeavors, I want to avoid this human trait at all costs under the water. What would you suggest be a good plan of action for getting better at pace that doesn’t have the effectiveness of your average online vocational course? Am I rushing things to consider DM courses this summer? Should I just leave well enough alone until I have logged more dives?

Cheers!

Dadvocate:
Hi, everyone! Thanks for another interesting thread. I am very pleased to have joined this discussion board. I'd like to ask a couple of questions if I may.

I'm a PADI Advanced diver at 55 dives now (all in the tropics) and I do have aspirations at getting to master diver at some point in the future, mainly because I love the sport and want to continue pursuing skills (and mastering others) that will make me a safer diver in several environments.

My plan at the moment is to keep diving as I am and to get my own equipment by June of this summer. I just got my reg to add to my kit and am thinking about BCDs to fill in the final essential piece of my equipment. I feel as though I am a safe diver. My rating for this comes in large part due to the fact that I still take pre-dive checks seriously (modifying them as needed), and that my buoyancy and air consumption are now very much in a range that I like (consistent). Since I am a teacher by trade, I'll have the summer free to take more courses and do much more diving in my host country, the Philippines. I would also be free enough to start doing coursework for more advanced certifications.

I guess my question is at what point should I consider Master Diving courses? If the guys above are roughly at the same level I am and learning (but completely unsafe in practice), does this reflect poor experience or more a poor attitude, or perhaps both?

Hubris being a trait I can sometimes carry around on land with football (soccer for my Yank compatriots) and other sporting endeavors, I want to avoid this human trait at all costs under the water. What would you suggest be a good plan of action for getting better at pace that doesn’t have the effectiveness of your average online vocational course? Am I rushing things to consider DM courses this summer? Should I just leave well enough alone until I have logged more dives?

Cheers!

Do not take the previous examples as " everyone " who takes dm or above courses are not responsible..There are irresponsible people everywhere.You have an interest to go on to DM thats fine..Schedule up a rescue course now so that when you feel prepared to go for Dm you have the requirements to take the course.

Back
Top Bottom