Outer Ear infection prevention?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ouch! Yes, when you have a burning sensation, you already have an infection, and should refrain from putting the vinegar/alcohol mixture into your ear. Go see an ENT doc and get an Rx for Cirprodex. A couple days of three drops twice a day should clear up the infection. While you have the infection, don't even get in the shower without protecting your ears (put a cotton ball in each ear and lubricate it with vaseline. It's important to keep water out of your ears until they heal. Although once you get an infection you can treat it, I don't know of anything that will prevent one. However, I always wear a hoodie/cap to keep my ears from being fully exposed to the water, as I'm very susceptible to ear infections.

Blue Sparkle:6049301:
My ear still won't clear after a week...ent exam negative.. Feels full ever since post flood diving conditions.tried all otc needs no avail.got a script for nasonex...does nothing.I want to jam a needle in there....

That sounds like it may be a problem with your middle ear, which would be completely different from the outer ear that the OP was asking about. Basically, your middle ear is "behind" the ear drum so you cannot get anything in there by putting it into your outer ear (on the side of your head). Fluid gets in there by coming from "inside" your head.

I had a middle ear problem that I gave myself after a cold (blew gunk up in there from inside - stupid!) and it gave me similar symptoms. There really isn't any "quick fix" that I know of. Basically, eventually it went away. I think the body eventually reabsorbs the fluid.

If you search otitis media with effusion you can read more about the middle ear (although I had no pain or infection, so maybe what I had would have a different name). My doctor checked it out and gave me some things to try, but he said it would most likely be "tincture of time," which my web research went along with.

I did do a maneuver where I "pumped" my eustachian tube, which is called the Galbraith Technique (yes, I was getting desperate). I'm not sure if it helped, but it may have.

It was really annoying while I had it.

Tell me more about this maneuver

That sounds like it may be a problem with your middle ear, which would be completely different from the outer ear that the OP was asking about. Basically, your middle ear is "behind" the ear drum so you cannot get anything in there by putting it into your outer ear (on the side of your head). Fluid gets in there by coming from "inside" your head.

I had a middle ear problem that I gave myself after a cold (blew gunk up in there from inside - stupid!) and it gave me similar symptoms. There really isn't any "quick fix" that I know of. Basically, eventually it went away. I think the body eventually reabsorbs the fluid.

If you search otitis media with effusion you can read more about the middle ear (although I had no pain or infection, so maybe what I had would have a different name). My doctor checked it out and gave me some things to try, but he said it would most likely be "tincture of time," which my web research went along with.

I did do a maneuver where I "pumped" my eustachian tube, which is called the Galbraith Technique (yes, I was getting desperate). I'm not sure if it helped, but it may have.

It was really annoying while I had it.

I've had some similar issues with respect to fullness in my right ear. What seemed to help me was to spend a week on Mucinex-D to clear things out, and it helped. My doc said that if that didn't work, he'd write a scrip for some steroids before resorting to the ENTs.

Tell me more about this maneuver

Well first of all I think I spelled it wrong, it's Galbreath. In a nutshell, back in the 1920's, Galbreath came up with a manual technique that may help ears to drain. I think it was originally geared toward children. Okay, I'm not a doctor so this is just my understanding, and it's also a year-and-a-half later, so you will need to cut me a bit of slack :)

Basically, I think, IIRC, that fluid in the middle ear has to either slowly reabsorb by the body, or drain via the (very skinny tube of) the eustachian tube (where air goes through to equalize your ears). This technique tries to manually pump the fluid so it drains via the eustachian tube (which I think it normally does but maybe this fluid is thicker).

You put your hand on the side of your face just above the top of your jawbone, up against the front of your ear. Then you kind of pull/draw down on your jawbone to the bottom rear corner and then "turn" and go forward along the bottom of your jawbone. Almost like you are slightly pulling your jaw out of joint but obviously not that hard. If I do it right now I can "hear" the pumping in my eustachian tube (I was testing my description).

I found this after doing quite a bit of Internet research because my ear was driving me nuts (and I'd been living with it for a while). I found quite a bit of discussion by people who had been suffering with "clogged" middle ears for some time (many pilots). Somehow in all that I found an article about this technique, complete with photographs showing how it was done.

Here is an article but without showing it; I'll see if I can find a better one and add it.

Physician Teaches Parents Osteopathic Techniques that Soothe Earaches in Children

(They mention earaches, which I did not have, but if you read it you will see they discuss fluid/draining.)

Here is another link; it mentions SCUBA diving:

http://www.jaoa.org/cgi/content/full/108/5/260

Sorry, but I cannot find the illustrated article; but, this will give you something to search, anyway.

Again, I am not a doctor. And I don't really know if this worked, or if it helped my ear to get better any faster. Also, I did visit my doctor to be sure I did not have any infection. I had no pain. Just the fullness and, after that was reduced, the crackling whenever I yawned (ugh). I don't believe this technique can hurt you (at least I did not find mention of that in my reading), but I'm not a professional.

My doctor did prescribe some.... sorry, I forget what it was, but essentially some sort of decongestant, IIRC. He said it might or might not work and that its use by me was optional. I held off taking it, because by then it was improving - and I never did take any of it.

Blue Sparkle

Last edited:
As everyone else I would recommend the ear beer. However, one thing to be aware of is that (at least according to my ENT) that solution will also remove the ear wax which is protecting your ear from the bad stuff, so don't use it between dives. I use that after I'm done diving for the day (immediately after exiting the water), and I travel with a prescription antibiotic/antifungal just in case.

Two other things that may help your existing problem -- one, they sell hand-held ear dryers. Never used one myself but have seen them several times. Two, it would not hurt to give DAN a call and get a list of diver-friendly ENT's in your area. With all due respect to your ENT I've found that the difference between your average ENT and one educated about diving issues can be pretty extreme.

Rinse your external ear canal thoroughly in the shower after you dive. Pull the pinna (the outer part) upward and toward the back of your head, and incline your head so that the water from the shower can enter the ear canal. Incline your head so that all the water runs out, then repeat with the other ear.

Hi Parkerco,

...other things that may help your existing problem -- one, they sell hand-held ear dryers.

You'll find such techniques discussed in the article linked in the post directly above yours, including a link to the Sahara DryEar.

As everyone else I would recommend the ear beer. However, one thing to be aware of is that (at least according to my ENT) that solution will also remove the ear wax which is protecting your ear from the bad stuff, so don't use it between dives.

This also is discussed in that article. Actually, use of such preparations is most effective when they are applied after every dive. Yes, the alcohol in such mixes indeed can thin/wash away the protective layer of cerumen within the external auditory canal, thereby making the canal more prone to infection. However, as is explained the vinegar is the most important ingredient in such mixes and the alcohol percentage can be greatly reduced, thereby considerably reducing this particular concern. Also discussed are quite effective drops that do not contain any alcohol at all.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Go see an ENT doc and get an Rx for Cirprodex (sic; sp ?). A couple days of three drops twice a day should clear up the infection.

Hi jupitermermaid,

Per the manufacturer, Ciprodex is a broad-spectrum antibiotic that should be used to treat only bacterial ear infections.

While most cases of otitis externa are caused by a bacterial pathogen, about 15% are the result of a fungal pathogen, typically a Candida sp or Aspergillus sp. Ciprodex actually can cause an overgrowth of these fungi and make the condition much worse.

One needs to know what they are treating before recommending/using any medication.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom