Outrage after inhospitality - no rooms for Cubans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
KOMPRESSOR:
The Hilton group actively choses to break Norwegian law (what they're doing simply isn't legal) in stead of the US law. And since we are on Norwegian ground I am somewhat offended by that, personally.
Well...I was done but I have to support you on this.

I can understand exactly why you feel 'somewhat' offended. I'm sure someone will be along in a tick to explain to you why you have no right to be though! :wink:

Kim:
Well...I was done but I have to support you on this.

I can understand exactly why you feel 'somewhat' offended. I'm sure someone will be along in a tick to explain to you why you have no right to be though! :wink:

Yeah, something about whales and dinner I presume... :D

KOMPRESSOR:
Yeah, something about whales and dinner I presume... :D
Don't start that! I'm sworn off whale threads! :blinking:

It is a ridiculous US law in force for way too long, but it certainly shouldn't apply in other countries especially if it violates their rules and regulations.

I think we should all fight it by banning Paris Hilton from every hotel in the world. Oops, she's just go to the ones they own anyway.

KOMPRESSOR:
First of all, this isn't ONE hotel, but a chain of hotels here in Scandinavia. One of the bigger ones, if not the biggest. Haven't bothered to check... And there's nothing in this case saying that Cuban tourists would be treated in any other way. Yes, the Cubans were trade representatives, and in the tourist business even. Since Norway and Norwegians still would like to have tourists visiting us, this kind of "hospitality" is not what we would like to be world famous for. In this case our sympathies lies with the Cubans.

The Hilton group actively choses to break Norwegian law (what they're doing simply isn't legal) in stead of the US law. And since we are on Norwegian ground I am somewhat offended by that, personally. When (and I do) I visit the US I go by US laws. When I do trade in the US, I go by US laws. The Scandic Hotels have been known for great service for years, and I have stayed with them many times, also after the Hilton take over. The name, "Scandic", will in itself place the hotels on the map in OUR region, and if they wish to stay that way (after Hilton), they have to respect national laws as well as Scandinavian values. What they'v done here is as far from it as they can come. So therefore the outspoken outrage in my country over this. Norwegians are quite politically and socially aware, so this is going to hurt the hotel chain. I wish Hilton would be braver than this, and if they would, they are welcome to run hotels in Norway.

Note: THIS post is my personal opinion, and the first post in this thread is just a referal to facts. Don't mix then up with each other, please. :blinking:

Again, I think the Norwegians are "barking up the wrong tree" as we like to say in America. The issue is with US foreign policy. The poor hotel just got stuck in the middle of it.

A more effective protest would be to the US government, via its embassy in Norway, denouncing a policy that would result in something like this.

Perhaps that may be Hilton's strategy: they KNOW it will result in a furor, and they KNOW it will eventually become a diplomatic issue.

However, I truly believe there is even deeper-rooted resentment that is behind the protests, as I stated above.

drbill:
I think we should all fight it by banning Paris Hilton from every hotel in the world. Oops, she's just go to the ones they own anyway.

I'm sure she'll have no problem finding a room at one of her hotels in Oslo :wink:

RonDawg:
A more effective protest would be to the US government, via its embassy in Norway, denouncing a policy that would result in something like this.

And you're a funny guy! :D
Do you really think the US government would listen to it? -Not worth an Ice Diver's chance in hell for a chilling dive...

We're not barking up threes. We're simply stating our opinion, and consumer power is a wonderful thing. We don't HAVE TO stay at Hilton hotels if we don't feel comfortable doing so. There are other hotels you know.

Don't worry about the jobs though. We have a huge lack of workers over here. It's a problem, actually.

KOMPRESSOR:
Do you really think the US government would listen to it? -Not worth an Ice Diver's chance in hell for a chilling dive...

And again, that's why I think Hilton may have done what it did, in the hopes that it may force some dialogue on the issue.

We're not barking up threes. We're simply stating our opinion, and consumer power is a wonderful thing.

Consumer power, like any other sort of power, also has the potential for misuse.

We don't HAVE TO stay at Hilton hotels if we don't feel comfortable doing so. There are other hotels you know.

I'm not sure where you got that from my posts, that you HAD to stay at a Hilton (I personally never have, they're too expensive for my budget).

I am saying you're pointing the blame, and wasting your efforts, on the wrong target.

Don't worry about the jobs though. We have a huge lack of workers over here. It's a problem, actually.

Then you wouldn't mind us sending some of "our poor, our tired, our yada yada yada" over to Norway?

if a company wants to do business in another country it must respect the laws of that country......
...in most civilized places in the world racial/ethnic or any other type of discrimination is illegal and would end up in court [i'm sure Bill Clintons amendment to extend to subsiduries of US companies that someone mentioned earlier was not intended for this type of thing, more likely to stop a US company side stepping the embargo by creating an offshoot to directly do business inside Cuba..unfortunately that is not how the "intention" is being read]
....i'm sure this is going to become a huge and widely reported issue that will end up further hurting the worlds view of the US and its companies (and unfortunately by association, its people)

I don't support any discrimination based on racial/ethnic or gender grounds. This is a disgrace and I have to put it to the Norwegians for boycotting the chain. Well done guys, stand fast on your values!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom